Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyShare DLNA Server Disconnects during music streaming

ezou
Aspirant

ReadyShare DLNA Server Disconnects during music streaming

Hi,

I have connected a Seagate Backup 2T USB drive to Netgear CableModem router (C3000) to serve as media server.

On the player side, I connected a Marantz NA8005 network music player to the router wired via ethernet.

The player is able to see "readyshare DLNA: C3000" server initially, and I can browse the folders, and play music.  However, after 5-10 minutes, it will stop with a message "server disconnected".    At this point, I am also not able to browse the media folder from my PC.  The only way to recover is to restart the router.  It will then function properly for 5-10 minutes before server get disconnect again.

Any suggestions on what I need to do?

-ed 

Model: C3000|N300 Cable Gateway Docsis 3.0
Message 1 of 7
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello ezou

Have you tried to rename the Media Server Name see if that makes a difference.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 7
ezou
Aspirant

Hi Darren,

Yes.  I did renamed it to NAS.  That didn't solve the problem.  Same issue, after 2-3 songs, the play lost connection with the server.  I renamed the media server name...same result.

Once I power off and on the router, it works fine for 2 songs:(.

-ed

Message 3 of 7
boxcar-7
Guide

Hello, you are most likely having the same difficulty I was having. I also wanted to stream from my Seagate 2TB Slim Hard Drive, and every time I did it stopped. This is because the drive is drawing power through the USB from your router. That interrupts the data streaming. I tested the router with different drive that had its own external power the movie played just fine from start to finish. So, I looked into externally powering my Seagate 2TB Backup Slim with 3.0 USB drive. Here is what I found: https://www.sabrent.com/product/EC-DFLT/usb-3-0-sata-external-hard-drive-lay-flat-docking-station-2-... Or something similar. I believe this will solve our problem. I asked the question on a different community post and waiting to hear from them. I asked the question to Sabrent, they weren't sure, asked Seagate, they thought issues, I'm just now waiting to hear from Netgear support before I spend the dollars. Hope this helps and good luck. Boxcar-7....
Message 4 of 7
boxcar-7
Guide

Edit to correct..."asked Seagate, they thought there should be no issues" Boxcar-7
Message 5 of 7
ezou
Aspirant

boxcar-7,

Thanks for the reply.  Based on your reply, I tried to use an older Simplify 1T drive with external power to connect with the router.  Similar issue occured:  the player connected with it, play 2 songs then the server error appears.  the only way to overcome it is to restart the router.  They everything works fine for about 2 songs before server error occurs again.

Regards,

-ed

Message 6 of 7
boxcar-7
Guide

ezou, FIRST THE DISCLAIMER (lol), I am not a tech nor a geek, just a self taught, go to the internet, ask questions and finally trial and record error kind of guy. 1. I hooked my Seagate directly to the Roku, movies and songs play just fine. 2. Hooked the Seagate to the router and after a couple of minutes, Roku gives "error lost connection to server check your cables." 3. Hook and old (2007ish) WD 850 Gig External Drive with separate power cord to the router using the USB. Then streamed to the Roku using the DLNA server and there was no issues playing movies and music. 4. All three of my Roku(s), one of them being an old Roku 2 XE and it also worked fine with no issues. Check to ensure: 1. Your cables are good, that there are no breaks inside...test them? 2. Goes with out saying, go to Roku home and make sure you the latest firmware. 3. Check file format, Roku is particular to formats 4. Sorry, more trial and error.....
Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7