Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Readyshare Speed

netspert
Aspirant

Readyshare Speed

Yes, it is an old model - but I'm on Comcast in a small town.  I have a 1TB SATA2 drive in a USB SATA3 housing with a USB 3.0 interface, connected to the C3000 with a USB 3.0 cable.  I would expect to have file transfers through the Gigabit LAN run up to near the USB 2.0 speed of the modem USB interface, but instead, it runs at between 1 and 1.5MB/s, or 8 to 12 megabits per second, way below  the capability of USB 2.0.    What speed should I expect?  How can I make it faster?

Model: C3000|N300 Cable Gateway Docsis 3.0
Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
netspert
Aspirant

Re: Readyshare Speed

If they had implemented USB 2.0 High Speed, It would have been quite adequate for the home user - but apparently you need a newer model for that.  Why did I have such an old model?  It was what Comcast supplied me with - and will soon be gone.

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 12

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Some USB 2.0 ports don'tsupport USB 3.0 device. Also with some USB 3.0 devices, may not be backwards comaptible with USB 2.0. You may need to find a USB 2.0 drive to test with. 

Message 2 of 12
netspert
Aspirant

Actually, downward compatibility is part of the USB standard - but you could be right; my old USB disk housing was USB 2.0, and that systtem worked better than this one with a newer and faster USB housing and HDD. But there is no problen with the USB 3.0 housing running on a USB 2.0 port - file trransfer runs at 200 mbps when I plug the new housing into a USB 2.0 port on the PC - that's fast enough for access to a backyp storage device.  But the old USB unit only supported PATA drives, and I ran out of those.  This one (LaCie) at least has air holes for cooling the drive.  But I cannot find a solution for the 20X performance loss; file transfer running at 11 mbps (a number I've seen mentioned elsewhere in these many pages of Readyshare performance complaints) is a pathetic rate when you want to use it for an online backup drive.  And I don't see any decent answers, other than yours - that the modem/router can't handle a USB 3.0 device that is running on 2.0 speeds to accomodate the Netgear unit.  I don't think I will buy a Netgear uhit again.

Message 3 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

It is what it is. 

Yes USB is supposed to be backwards compatible however implementing it on either host or client device is up to the Mfr of each. I presume in this case since your working with a non USB 3.0 modem and the client device is 3.0 supporting, seems like this is the area of problem. Remember if the modem supports 2.0 then 2.0 would be a max USB connection on the modem. Weather or not the connected client device supports 3.0 and how it handles backwards compatbility will be up to that Mfr. It's possible the Mfr didn't fully support any backwards compabtility. 

I ran in to a similar situation with a D-Link DWA-192 wireless adapter. It's a USB 3.0 connection adapter. However it would not work right on my Mac Book Pro 2008 that only supports 3.0. Even though 3.0 was supposed to be backwards compatible, the adapter has expectations of volatage needed for 3.0 operation which my Mac Book was not tuned to give. Installing on my Mac Mini 2012 works just fine since it supports USB 3.0. 

So the modem is going what it can only do. How the device is handling the connetion is another problem which falls on the Mfr. 

I tend to not use USB on Routers or Modems for any file stroage solutions. Maybe some small stuff, however ideally to get best performances for storage solutions, NAS is the way to go. I got my first NAS several years ago and haven't looked back at USB since. 

Message 4 of 12
netspert
Aspirant

You are pointing to the same culprit - the Netgeat monem/router - that advertises its use as a way to connect a shared HDD on a small LAN - wireless and wired.  But if it cannot do better than 11mbps on a wired Gigabit LAN, what use is it?  But you did hint at an erroneous assumption - this USB HDD housing has its own 1.5A ,12v power source - I need to change connectors on the 2.0 Amp one I want to use, but it works fine anyway, when plugged into the PC, on either USB 3.0 or USB 2.0. It's just slow on Readyshare.

Message 5 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

I pointed to the fact the the limit on the Modem is 2.0. Also metioned that how the 3.0 device handles the backwards compatibility is also a factor. 

Again. NAS is the way to go. Find one and you'll never look back. 

Good Luck. 

Message 6 of 12
netspert
Aspirant

Undoubtably a  better way to go, just pricier.  Still, Netgear does advertise Readyshare as a way to do this - but not well, apparently.  I'd love for someone to prove me wrong and let me know how to make it work better.

Message 7 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Maybe pricier, however entry level NAS isn't that expensive. A two bay unit isn't costly. Even with todays 4Tb drives that are around $90-100 each. Even using 2Tb drives would be a start on an economical budget. Would be well worth it and save you time and headache. I just bought 4x4Tb drives to upgrade my 1st NAS and just got a 2nd NAS for backup redundancy. 

Even if RS was working for you and you had a 2.0 USB drive. Your still limited by USB 2.0 on the modem. Honestly, your wasting your time trying to make 2.0 work for you. Speeds on USB 2.0 will not be good ever. There too much processing by the modem and thus probably causing bad performances. Also the the USB2.0 case would be a factor as well on performance. How good does it do under load. Not great. 

If your going with USB 3.0, then you need a seemless USB3.0 environment. Don't mix them. I have a USB3.0 case and also have a 3.0 adapter in my PC. Works well. 

Good Luck. 

Message 8 of 12
netspert
Aspirant

Actually, USB 2.0 High Speed is much faster than our PC disk drives can sustain - but you hit on the point I now have to assume is correct- this model does not support any more than the standard - not high speed - USB 2.0 speed of 12 Mbps maximum.  Netgear does a poor job of documenting that, though.

But you also bring up affodability - Netgear, and others, decided to include this function into a piece of gear that a performance-oriented home computer user would have anyway - a cable modem = because that is the BEST answer to affordability.  And they advertise that as an affordable answer to this particular problem - and it should be more affordable than throwing a humdred or two into a "real" NAS unit.  But not at 12 mbps.  My next modem WILL support higher speeds; it may NOT be a Netgear product.

Message 9 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

It is what it is. IMO, USB up to 2.0 has been problematic and never has had good performances for the tech behind it. I dont' think it was ever meant to be realistically good for storage solutions. USB3.0 has improved upon this and 3.1 will probably make things closer to NAS performances. I've never relied on USB for any storage. I do have a old 2.0 WD drive that is just back up and file storage. Was good for it's day. It's over 10 years old now. 

With NAS I can adjust the storage sizes as needed and still maintain great performances. USB can't hold a candle to NAS. 

NG has good modems. The CM line is good. Just modems only though. 

Good Luck. 

Message 10 of 12
netspert
Aspirant

If they had implemented USB 2.0 High Speed, It would have been quite adequate for the home user - but apparently you need a newer model for that.  Why did I have such an old model?  It was what Comcast supplied me with - and will soon be gone.

Message 11 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Ah ha. Well there you have it. I recommend BYOM next time. Separate router too. 

Good Luck. 

Message 12 of 12
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7