Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Recycle wireless router (C3000 N300)

txakura
Aspirant

Recycle wireless router (C3000 N300)

I just purchased a Netgear C3000 (N300) modem/router.  It's been in service for two days.  I found this afternoon that more than one of the wireless connections wasn't working, and recycled the wifi (turned wifi off, waited 30 seconds, turned wifi on)  This resolved the issue, however, it brought to mind a question:  is this something I'm going to have to do regularly?  My last modem/router would literally go for months without me having to pay any attention.  The reason I now have the Netgear is because I've changed service providers to get a faster connection (from 3Mbps to 25Mbps with no hope of the 3Mbps changing in the near future.)  It may be possible the faster speed does make the connection more fragile, but I'd like to know, if possible, what to expect.

Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
txakura
Aspirant

Re: Recycle wireless router (C3000 N300)

Took two tries, but on the second try, this morning, I chatted with another rep and she (I assume it's a her with a name like Jupette) handled the entire process.  My modem is now up to the latest firmware.  Problem solved.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 9

All Replies

Checked for new firmware?

Hardware often turns up with old firmware.

C3000 | Product | Support | NETGEAR

Message 2 of 9
txakura
Aspirant

I downloaded Netgear Genie and ran the "Router Update", which provided me with the current firmware version: V1.01.11, but then left a message that said "Router firmware check completed.  Failed to get firmware version information."  If it's listed in the window, how can it not be found?  Or, if what wasn't found was the newest firmware version, how do I do it?

And, as a separate issue, I've read where the firware updates are supposed to come from the IP (Comcast, in my case.)  True?  Not true?

Message 3 of 9
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello txakura

Yes with cable modems all the Firmware is pushed by the ISP.

http://kb.netgear.com/000036375/What-s-the-latest-firmware-version-of-my-NETGEAR-cable-modem-or-mode...

DarrenM

Message 4 of 9

@DarrenM wrote:

Yes with cable modems all the Firmware is pushed by the ISP.

Some DSL modems even work like that. Not Netgear thankfully.

Comcast should have V2.02.08 firmware from DarrenM's table.

If Comcast is anything like BT, it pushes out firmware at the dead of night, when it is not going to disrupt a user's Internet activity.

Message 5 of 9
txakura
Aspirant

So... it gets funnier and funnier.  I called Comcast (my ISP) and explained I had a new modem that was woefully behind in firmware updates.  The rep I talked to talked to the tier-two folks and was told I needed to talk to Netgear to get the updated firmware, they didn't do that any more.  Went to Netgear and was told I neded to talk to Comcast.  If someone had just said, "It will happen automatically on the next general firmware upgrade date."  The problem would be solved.  I haven't heard that.  I'm going back to Comcast tomorrow and insist I talk to Tier-two myself.  I hope they can at least let me know how this can be resolved.  If they send me back to Netgear again, I'm going to box up my modem and mail it back to Netgear with a note explaining why I'm sending it back and asking for a refund.  The refund will go toward purchasing a modem from another manufacturer.

Message 6 of 9

@txakura wrote:

The refund will go toward purchasing a modem from another manufacturer.

Before you do that, check that the other manufacturer supplies firmware updates and doesn't also rely on Comcast to deliver it.

If it is generic behaviour for ISPs to update firmware for that sort of broadband – as I've said, BT does the same thing with its non-Netgear modems – you won't get very far if Comcast doesn't play ball.

Message 7 of 9
txakura
Aspirant

Took two tries, but on the second try, this morning, I chatted with another rep and she (I assume it's a her with a name like Jupette) handled the entire process.  My modem is now up to the latest firmware.  Problem solved.

Message 8 of 9

Congratulations.

Not a good advertisement for the knowledge of Comcast's support team.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7