Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Router not giving off wireless signal

andy792
Tutor

Router not giving off wireless signal

This is the second modem/router that I have from Netgear. I sent the first one back through their RMA process and they sent me another one. The issue with the first one is that it would not broadcast a wireless signal, although I could connect to the internet by connecting directly to the router. I'm having the same issue with this router. I contacted netgear support and they are saying that I have to pay for their tech support so they can mess with the configurations and other stuff. Is there a way that I could do this myself or am I going to have to pay for this? 

Model: C6300|AC1750 Cable Modem Router Docsis 3.0
Message 1 of 17
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Have you checked with your ISP the modem could be set to have the wifi disabled through the ISP billing system I know this has been a large issue with spectrum customers.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 17
vkdelta
NETGEAR Expert

Is your ISP "Spectrum"?

If yes, you need to call them and REMOVE WIFI OPT OUT code from your device. 

Message 3 of 17
andy792
Tutor

I contacted Spectrum and they said it wasn't an issue on their end. They said they don't have the capability to disable the wifi since I am using my own equipment. 

Message 4 of 17
andy792
Tutor

My ISP is Spectrum and they said there is no WIFI OPT OUT CODE. They said that Netgear has to check the settings. 

Message 5 of 17
ErnestTheGreat
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@andy792You should ask Spectrum why is it that when your device is reset to factory settings without coaxial cable being connected that your WiFi works perfectly fine and only disappears once you connect the coaxial cable and connect to Spectrum internet service?

The easiest way to confirm if the Spectrum is causing the issue is to rest device to factory settings and power it on without connecting the coaxial cable and then once you verify WiFi is working connect the coaxial cable and see if it disappears. If the WiFi disappears when your modem connects to Spectrum’s service then the problem is caused by the configuration file and the parameter that is being added to tell the non-Spectrum issued modem to disable WiFi and operate in modem only mode.

Model: C6300|AC1750 Cable Modem Router Docsis 3.0
Message 6 of 17
andy792
Tutor

Would I get an internet signal if the coaxial is not connected? Or do you just mean that I'll be able to see the network on my network list? 

I think I understand what you are saying to try. When I reset the router by holding the reset button, should it be connected to my computer? 

Message 7 of 17
antinode
Guru

> Would I get an internet signal if the coaxial is not connected?

No.  It'd be magical if that worked.

> Or do you just mean that I'll be able to see the network on my network
> list?

Yes.  At least, a wired connection should let you use a Web browser
to deal with the router's Web interface.  If so configured, a wireless
connection to the router should work, too.

> [...] When I reset the router by holding the reset button, should it
> be connected to my computer?

I know nothing, but I wouldn't expect it to matter.  It should work
with nothing connected.  Two tries should exhaust the possibilities.

Message 8 of 17
andy792
Tutor

I just tried this and I'm seeing the wireless signal but it's done this before when I tried resetting the router. It usually only lasts for a little while. I'll check tomorrow and if the signal is still broadcasting, then I'll call spectrum again and see what they have to say.
Message 9 of 17
ErnestTheGreat
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@antinode No you would not but this is just a troubleshooting isolation step. The objective here is to see if your C6300 WiFi starts working and your wireless clients are able to see its SSID. In most cases if the Spectrum did not configure your profile correctly when you connect the coaxial cable to the C6300 it will go through provisioning process and at some point during that process a configuration file from Spectrum would be downloaded and if Spectrum is disabling your WiFi then the device would get the config file along with instruction to disable WiFi at which point your devices would no longer see the C6300 SSID. 

If your C6300 WiFi disappers after your C6300 connects to Spectrum's network then you can be sure that the issue is on thier end.

Message 10 of 17
andy792
Tutor

I'm starting to think it is an issue with Spectrum. I tried doing this last night and kept it disconnected. When I woke up this morning, I could see the network on my network list, albeit no actual internet connection. I think I'll call Spectrum again today and see what they say this time. 

Message 11 of 17
vkdelta
NETGEAR Expert

Please call them and tell them to remove "WIFI OPT OUT".

they are doing this most likely to force you to rent their WIFI router rental.

Message 12 of 17
andy792
Tutor

I've tried telling them this, but they say that there is no WIFI OPT OUT code. 

Message 13 of 17
vkdelta
NETGEAR Expert

can you please try to ask to remove the modem out of Bridge mode. 

If it does not work, please PM me your CM MAC and account number.

Message 14 of 17
andy792
Tutor

How would I do this?

Message 15 of 17
andy792
Tutor

Is it me changing the router mode from yes to no?

Message 16 of 17
ErnestTheGreat
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Basically what Spectrum does is adds a parameter to your account that disables WiFi i.e. sets the device in modem only mode and prevents you from changing the modem back to router mode. Only way to fix the issue is to have the Spectrum remove the WiFi restriction from account i.e. remove the WiFi out code.

Message 17 of 17
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7