Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Router not taking internet from modem (CM1000)

itsEMT
Aspirant

Router not taking internet from modem (CM1000)

Our internet service was disconnected today and then reconnected a few hours later, but after it was reconnected the router's internet light was red (or amber) and it just says no connection in the genie. Plugging a computer directly into the CM1000 LAN port will give internet access to that device. However, going from one device to another directly from the LAN port will not give the second device internet. I had to factory reset while plugged in to the second device for it to get a connection, and now the first device does not get internet when plugged in. Windows shows it as unidentified network and gives an IP configuration error when troubleshooting. Here are all the things I've tried so far:

• Factory resetting the modem

• Factory resetting the router (note: I can't get into the genie now because I'm unable to setup the router without a connection)

• Using a second router (AC1750, same issue with red internet light)

• Using a different modem with both routers (Arris SB6183)

The only way I'm able to have internet right now is by plugging directly in to the LAN port on the back of the modem, but I'm not sure if this is a modem or router problem, or Xfinity's problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Model: CM1000|Ultra-High Speed Cable Modem—DOCSIS® 3.1 Ready, R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
itsEMT
Aspirant

Re: Router not taking internet from modem (CM1000)

Thanks for the reply, but I was able to fix it earlier. I figured if the modem is only working with the first device it connects to after being reset, then it will work if the router is the first device, and sure enough that did it. Not sure why I didn't try it last night, but either way it's working now.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure to power OFF the modem and connected external wifi router for 1 minute. Then back ON with the modem first, then wifi router next...make sure the modem is correctly associated with the ISP service. 

Message 2 of 4
itsEMT
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply, but I was able to fix it earlier. I figured if the modem is only working with the first device it connects to after being reset, then it will work if the router is the first device, and sure enough that did it. Not sure why I didn't try it last night, but either way it's working now.

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7