Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Router wifi settings gone after power outage

Totally agree that we all need to stay away from Netgear products. I not only had router issues, but also NAS and camera issues. Useless products! They don't seem to care about their customers.

Message 51 of 91

I just wanted to come back and report the progress I've made!

I invested in Ubiquiti's Unifi Dream Machine Pro and Access Point. Wow, I cannot believe what I have been missed all this time. I wish I would have had this gear back when the kids were teenagers. I'm blown away at the features and control. I will be adding some more to it.

As for the Netgear Nighthawk? I plan on making a video on how to blow it up, shoot it, burn it, run over it. Any polls on suggestions on how to make a dead router more dead? lol

Message 52 of 91
superman_006
Initiate

So I read this thread after my router (R8000) started resetting to factory specs including the open guest networks. I had hoped that there was a cmos type battery inside that died. I tried everything that I could find... downgrade firmware, re-upgrade, factory reset, manually type in my config. Unplug the router and xxxxxxx everything is gone everytime.

Then ended up finding an older thread where several people were having the same issues with the R9000 and the R7800. Then someone tried free 3rd party (Open sourcd) firmware from DD-WRT which fixed it... meaning this is a firmware issue. I flashed mine to DD-WRT’s R8000... typed in my settings and unplugged my router. Plugged it back in and wah-la, my SSID’s all there. I even re-flashed netgear’s firmware after that and then my original config/backup file and it retains my settings when the power goes out or if I reboot my router.
Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 53 of 91
Canman_JAC
Initiate

I also have similar problems with my X6S router purchased at Costco. In my situation, a UPS keeps it powered during brief power outages, but when the ISP (CenturyLink) goes down for an extended period of time, the router loses it's wifi settings. Of course, this only happens when I am 1200 miles from home. An Orbi, at another property, never does this and it is connected to Comcast with frequent outages.

Model: R7900P|Nighthawk X6S AC3000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 54 of 91

Since having ditched Netgear and replaced with Ubiquiti Unifi I haven't had issues or even had to reboot since June's installation. The only regret is not having done so earlier!
Message 55 of 91
GBN
Initiate
Initiate

I have the same problem after the newest update pushed to my router it's losing the setting.  As said in other post it's not tollerable as I have secuity in through my router and this has shaken my confidence in netgear.  I'll be looking into another brand of router if this is the response given by Neatgear.  Of course they never heard of the 10 others rule when not addressing an issue.  I really had trust in this modem now I have to place my trust elswhere if they cannot rectify this issue.  

I had and issue with a router just the other day and had to replace it so the customer felt confidence in my company.  Now the bank is happy and I can be assured they wont drop our company. Hope Netgear get it in gear.

Message 56 of 91
tmglaspie
Initiate

Since when does ANY equipment require a UPS to work properly? This is piss poor design in my eyes. Plan and simple. 

TinaG

Message 57 of 91
wiiNinja
Guide

I have a Netgear WNDR3800, which has served me and my family for many years now (7-8+ years), and is still going strong. I love that router. Confession: I have been using ddwrt almost from the start. When I attempted to upgrade to something more modern, seeing how the WNDR3800 is doing so well, I automatically look to Netgear, but the Nighthawk R7000P failed to retain settings as many in this thread saw. I came across a post that someone flashed this unit with ddwrt and the problem went away, so that's what I also did: switched to ddwrt. I have not done this for so long, but just by yanking the power, and re-apply the power numerous times, I did not see the unit losing settings. If you have the heart for it, give this a try. I still think Netgear produces good hardware, and I can't explain why they choose to ignore this issue with their firmware.

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 58 of 91

I started this thread nearly 2 years ago and Netgear still hasn't fixed this serious security problem. Totally agree that a UPS is just a DIY fix to Netgear's poor design and customer experience. This is the last time I buy Netgear equipment.

Model: R7900|Nighthawk X6 AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 59 of 91
GBN
Initiate
Initiate

Seems stability has been restored after using openwrt firmware.  It's still a good router but you can easily install openwrt but there is a learning curve.  I was lucky to have a network background and it was rather easy for me.  look into it it might save you a bit of cash.  Also if you like DDwrt you can install openwrt then change the id of the router to r8000 usining cmd line.  Either way OpenWRT is the way to fix this.

Openwrt is simple grab the Right firmware by looking up you router type.  Then download the firmware file for the router.  Then log into your router and under admin is update under that tab you just choose that file and install.

Message 60 of 91

@GBN OpenWRT it is still a DIY hack making the Netgear product a terrible product with horrible customer experience. This product has such a huge security hole. Unacceptable.

Note: I used OpenWRT with my old Cisco router but configuring it was difficult for me. I know just enough to be dangerous but not enough to configure everything properly. I don't have the time to tinker nor want to take the risk of turning my router into a brick.

Message 61 of 91
Magicalrope
Initiate

Hmm thought this is the place to ask how to fix issues. Also that was very rude.
Message 62 of 91
Magicalrope
Initiate

Unlike the guy that does not know what a power conditioner is I do. It depends what you are using it for I use one for my theater room. So treat your UPs just like your outlet.
Message 63 of 91
donr100
Initiate

Well intuitively I'd agree with you. I have mine attached to an expensive APC UPS Pro 1350 Sine Wave backup and surge suppressor and twice now the router has reset to factory settings once the battery ran out. This should not happen. I've got routers that were unplugged and tossed on a shelf for over a year that still had their configuration when I plugged them in. For me this is particularly a problem. This is at a vacation rental that is 3 hrs from me. I California PGE is turning off power every time the wind blows in the fall and I'm left with a router I can no longer remote access and my clients can't use the Internet as they expect. It appears there is no posted fix for this so I'm moving on to a TP-Link in hopes that it'll fare better. 

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 64 of 91
stefaniew
Initiate

I had the same problem. Third 5ghz was no password and default name

Model: R7900P|Nighthawk X6S AC3000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 65 of 91
Canman_JAC
Initiate

Easiest fix. I replaced it with a Syn ology router

Message 66 of 91
xophaser
Initiate

This a huge security issues.  My house power went off a few times and the router rebooted fine.  Then today 12-12-20 it looses all setting and is open wifi.  This is a huge security issues.  That means anybody on can see your files on your network that is hard wired to the router.  This is garage.  This my last netgear product.  The router also decide to reboot itself all the time rather then have a schedule time.  No more netgear for me.  And my firmware is up to date, huge security issues here.

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 67 of 91
Ketjar
Initiate

The solution for this is to return the router and never buy a netgear router.

Model: A7000|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi USB Adapter - USB 3.0
Message 68 of 91
Jjoshrtca
Guide

I have a CAX80 (Netgear's current top of the line cable modem router combo and it's STILL not in this forum's model list... I've had other issues (go figure!) that I posted about a few months ago). 

I have the exact same problem (with the hardware AND support -- more on that later).  I finally gave up and dropped another $100 on a UPS (on top of the $500 and $50 I spent on the hardware and extended warrantly, respectively).  When I heard about the Macronix issue, I did a bit of research and lo and behold:

[Netgear CAX80 (Nighthawk CAX8)

FCC approval date: 11 August 2019
Country of manuf.: China
Series: AX6000

Type: wireless router, cable modem

FCC ID: PY319200447

Power: 19 VDC, 3.16 A

CPU1: Broadcom BCM3390S (1.5 GHz2 cores)
**********FLA1: 512 MiB (Macronix MX30LF4G18AC-TI)**********
RAM1: 1 GiB (Samsung Model? × 2)

Expansion IFs: USB 3.0 (Type A)
USB ports: 1

WI1 chip1: Broadcom BCM43684
WI1 802dot11 protocols: an+ac+ax
WI1 MIMO config: 4x4:4
WI1 antenna connector: none
WI2 chip1: Broadcom BCM43684
WI2 802dot11 protocols: bgn+ax
WI2 MIMO config: 4x4:4
WI2 antenna connector: none

ETH chip1: Broadcom BCM3390S
ETH chip2: Broadcom BCM54991E
Switch: Broadcom BCM3390S
LAN speed: 1GbE
LAN ports: 4
WAN speed: 2.5GbE
WAN ports: 1

abgn+ac+ax

Flags: Wi-Fi 6, DOCSIS 3.1, VHT160, HE160, MU-MIMO, LACP

Default login user: admin
Default login password: password
admin:password credentials used by 409 additional devices
of which 298 are Netgear devices

802dot11 OUI: none specified]

source:  Netgear CAX80 (Nighthawk CAX8) - WikiDevi.Wi-Cat.RU (wi-cat.ru)

(I was a little worried about going to a Russian website, but thankfully no alarms went off, IIRC)

Now, that being said, this is my *second* device.  The first?  Got the same bs runaround from support AND I BOUGHT THE EXTENDED WARRANTY!!!  They are so lame they tried to sell it to me TWICE!  #*@%! em...

So, what's a guy to do?  Here's MY fix:  Buy another identical device and return the defective one a few days later.  I know it means floating $500 for a few days, but, so long as you take off all the stickers from the broken device, the store you bought it from has no way of matching up the broken device to the new device box.  If they ask just play dumb and tell them you always take off those "marketing" stickers from all your devices 😉 Do I feel bad about doing this?  Absolutely!  Just to be clear, though, I'm talking about feeling bad for the store stuck holding the bag... NOT Netgear.  Did Trashgear... sorry... Netgear give me any other choice?  NO!

LAST TIME I ever give this company any of my money.  Honestly, wouldn't be surprised if they go insolvent soon.  They already act as if they are given how dishonest and unhelpful their sales... sorry... "support" dept is.  Really says a lot about a company when an open source firmware org CAN come up with a workaround for Netgear's trashy penny pinched hardware and yet all Tras...Netgear (geez why can't I stop making that mistake!?) can do is put crapware on their cheap, defective devices (see "NETGEAR Armor™").

Message 69 of 91

@superman_006 please send me a link to the flash info.

Update... my 2-year-old expensive router finally had to be replaced this weekend. Not only did I have security issues with the power outages, but every few hours I had to restart my router because my devices could not connect to the wifi. It also started assigning the same IP address to 2 devices. Seriously?!?!

I'm hoping that flashing this crappy router will allow me to use it for the additional SSID's that I need. Unfortunately my new router is only a dual-band router.

Message 70 of 91

Ever since taking in Unifi, I've come to realize more and more the junk vendors that are saturating the waves with overamplified signal to try to make their products work. And it just causes the field to get worse and worse and disrupts other things in airwaves. 

I've actually turned down my signal to "low" on my 2.4Ghz APs (again, talking Unifi, not this Netgear trash) and much better results! Not bleeding all over the airwaves now.

Message 71 of 91
donr100
Initiate

Update: 4 months later and my TP-Link has not given me a single problem with outages or anything else. In my book Netgear is and forever will be a faded memory. They've had literally years to fix these problems yet chose to do nothing. Signing out. Perhaps I'll see ya all on a TP-Link forum but so far I've had no need to go there. 

Message 72 of 91
KAHUNA757575
Aspirant

I was having the issue of the router resetting after power pulling pulled and leaving an open network. I contacted customer service and we reset the router with the Back reset button and paper clip, used the nighthawk app and updated the Firmware and it worked...unplugged and replugged in 3 times today and it came back online each time with settings saved.

Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S AC4000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 73 of 91
FURRYe38
Guru

What model router are you referring too? 

@KAHUNA757575 wrote:

I was having the issue of the router resetting after power pulling pulled and leaving an open network. I contacted customer service and we reset the router with the Back reset button and paper clip, used the nighthawk app and updated the Firmware and it worked...unplugged and replugged in 3 times today and it came back online each time with settings saved.

Message 74 of 91
KAHUNA757575
Aspirant

I put it at the bottom of what I wrote(it may not have shown up)..Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S AC4000 Tri Band WiFi Router

Message 75 of 91
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7