Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: SOLVED - Remote Wake on LAN with home routers

Stan-Gspeedy
Tutor

SOLVED - Remote Wake on LAN with home routers

Most, if not all, Netgear home routers do not support Wake-on-LAN passthrough from external to LAN.  Standard "magic packet" involves sending a packet with the target computer's MAC address to the LAN broadcast address.  However my C7100V does not allow setting up a Port Forward to the broadcast address xxx.xxx.xxx.255 so a Magic Packet never gets through.

However, TEAMVIEWER has a proprietary WOL feature which bypasses that restriction.  You need to have Teamviewer set up on both the target computer and the WOL source which, in my case, is my Android phone.

After setting up Teamviewer's standard client-to-host connection, configure WOL on the target computer's Teamviewer installation: Extras>Options>General where under Network you will see the option to configure Wake-on-lan.  Configure your router's public (external) IP address or DNS name and a port (I used default Port 9).  Then, on the router, forward the port (9) to the target computer (for example xxx.xxx.xxx.100).

Of course, the target computer also has to be set up for WOL, usually by configuring that feature in the Network Adapter.  After doing all of that, on my Android phone a Power button appears next to the target computer.  Pressing that button will wake up your computer from either Shutdown or Sleep.

Model: C7100V|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 2
Stan-Gspeedy
Tutor

Re: SOLVED - Remote Wake on LAN with home routers

UPDATE:  I found that Teamviewer WOL worked great if the target computer was shut down for a short time, but did not work after an overnight shutdown.  Further research in the Teamviewer WOL manual indicates that the router needs to have a permanent ARP entry.  My target PC, although it had a fixed address, was still within the router's DHCP range, so my guess is that the ARP entry is deleted after a period of non-communication with the host.  So if you have the same problem, where Teamviewer WOL is erratic, try assigning a permanent address to the host and moving it outside of the DHCP range.

Model: C7100V|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 2 of 2
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 3 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7