Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Same 3 Repaeting Critical Errors in Event Log

cmarti02
Aspirant

Same 3 Repaeting Critical Errors in Event Log

CM1150V, Firmware Version V4.02.02

I keep getting the same 3 repeating Critical errors in the event log.  About every 30 seconds.  Inbound and Outbound lights are flashing Green.  Any ideas what could be wrong?  TIA, Curtis

Thu Oct 22 15:56:41 2020Critical (3)16 consecutive T3 timeouts while trying to range on upstream channel 3;CM-MAC=28:80:88:00:e3:70;CMTS-MAC=18:8b:9d:d4:49:5d;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
Thu Oct 22 15:56:41 2020Critical (3)Ranging Request Retries exhausted;CM-MAC=28:80:88:00:e3:70;CMTS-MAC=18:8b:9d:d4:49:5d;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
Thu Oct 22 15:56:41 2020Critical (3)No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=28:80:88:00:e3:70;CMTS-MAC=18:8b:9d:d4:49:5d;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
Model: CM1150V|DOCSIS 3.1 Nighthawk® Multi-Gig Speed Cable Modem for XFINITY® Voice
Message 1 of 10
plemans
Guru

do you have a screen snip of the cable connections page? 
T3 errors tend to be line issues. 

do you have any splitters, amplifiers, or attenuators in line? If so, remove them. 

Check the coax for kinks, bad/old/poor/loose connections. 

Message 2 of 10
cmarti02
Aspirant

Here are the screenshots of the cable connection.  5 attachments.

There are no 'enhancers' attached.  Checked connections.

Thanks, CurtisCable1.JPGCable2.JPGCable3.JPGCable4.JPGCable5.JPG

Message 3 of 10
plemans
Guru

Your upstream power is low. You should be greater than 37dbmv. You should also have more locked channels. If the modem isn't communicating properly back to the cmts, you can have issues. 

If you don't have any splitters, attenautors, amplifiers in line and the coax all looks good, then you'd need to check with the ISP. 

Message 4 of 10
cmarti02
Aspirant

I probably should mention that before this issue started, neither of the VOIP lights were lit up on the CM1150V.  Then two days ago, when this started, the VOIP1 light had been flashing Green. Could that have anything to do with it?

I do have an old Thompson/RCA Voip box that has handled our home phone since we moved in.  We live in boonies in NH, no cell service, so we kept it for 911 service primarily.  I bought the Netgear modem about 18 months ago when Xfinity upgraded its service.  I just hadn't set up the phone line for it since I have to run phone line thru walls to connect to new unit.

/clm

Message 5 of 10
plemans
Guru

doubtful but maybe xfinity changed something in the provisioning. You'd want to check with them. 

Message 6 of 10
jmoyta
Tutor

I have the exact same issue occuring. Same modem model, same firmware rev, same errors and also with only 1 upstream channel locked.

Power on that 1 upstream channel in my case is 37.5 dBmV.

I began noticing erratic internet service issues beginning arount 10/8 or so. Symptoms like frequent, intermittent MS Teams "Your network is causing poor call quality" messages and lots of brief DNS issues where Chrome will report "ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED" for a moment before successfully connecting to websites.

Prior to this recent behaviour, my Xfinity Blast service and my CM1150V + RBK852 combo had been very solid performers since installed in February.  Nothing physical has changed in my setup, at least inside the house.

I've been wondering if Comcast may have pushed a newer firmware rev around that time a few weeks ago, which might be the culprit.  Countless modem resets, both remotely triggered and physicall initiated at the unit, and multiple troubleshooting attempts with their support team have been fruitless thus far.  I've been wondering if I should escallate the ticket and request a less recent boot file to be pushed.

Thoughts?

Model: CM1150V|DOCSIS 3.1 Nighthawk® Multi-Gig Speed Cable Modem for XFINITY® Voice
Message 7 of 10
plemans
Guru

@jmoyta I'd recommend starting your own thread for individual help so we don't confuse advise to people. 

thanks!

(make sure to include the logs and cable connections page)

Message 8 of 10
jmoyta
Tutor

I decided to add into this existing thread so as to reinforce that this exact same issue was occuring elsewhere, which may well indicate a systemic issue such as a firmware bug.  My log entries and cable connection information is very nearly identical to those shared by @cmarti02.

My hope is that any advise offered toward resolution will be beneficial to anyone else having this same experience.

For example, if we can discern that Firmware Version V4.02.02 was very recently pushed out by Comcast/Xfinity and if a prior known-good revision could be tested, I'm sure that would be beneficial to all involved.

Message 9 of 10
plemans
Guru

Its fine to include that you're having this issue but I'd still start your own thread and include the info requested and a complete description. That way we can check your info/setup. 

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7