Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Should I use a patch panel or go without one for my home network?

Mizzou11
Aspirant

Should I use a patch panel or go without one for my home network?

I just started working from home and I realize that my home network is slow when everyone (me, fiancee and 7 year old son) are all home doing our own thing. We stream everything thru the internet (100Mbps using Airport Extreme as a router) and do not have cable. I recently started working from home and need more reliable service and speed. I deicded that the only way to acheive this is to put ethernet ports in every room. I have a 950 sq ft ranch style home made of brick. I decided to put a 4 port outlet panel where my "office" which is in the living room, I am putting a 4 port outlet panel in the living room where the TV is, 2 port outlet in each bedroom. I am redoing the basement for my office so right now is the best time to do this since no dry wall has gone up and I can run the cables under the floor. I put a media box for the router and switch in the garage next to where the cable for the internet comes in at. I bought a netgear nighthawk AC1900 router with a netgear 8-port gigabit ethernet switch. I plan to use my Airport Extreme and Airport Express as non-wifi to run my home automation.

Question is, is a patch panel necassary?

Message 1 of 8
TheEther
Guru

Re: Should I use a patch panel or go without one for my home network?

Strictly speaking, a patch panel is not necessary.  It can, however, help with cable management and labeling.

Message 2 of 8
Mizzou11
Aspirant

That is the only upside to it as I can see right now. I am very clean and organized however once the ethernet wires leave the entertainmwent box in the garage they are going to be hidden. I drilled holes thru the rafters in the basement so see how long each cord should be for each room. I then analyzed what the shrtest distance wouild be to each room from the router or switch in the entertainment box. I do not see it being confusing to known wihch cords go to what, however, the patch panel would make all the wires look neat and organized. At this point I do not care about how neat or organized they look, this will all be obsolete when I sell the house in 3-4 years.

Message 3 of 8
TheEther
Guru

If you install Cat 6A or better cable, it will be good up to 10 Gbps up to 100 meters.  That will certainly not be obsolete in 3 to 4 years.  So, you'll want the installation to last.  A patch panel will eliminate unnecessary wear and tear from direct handling of the cable.

Message 4 of 8
Mizzou11
Aspirant

I am running Cat 5e, not Cat 6.
Message 5 of 8
VE6CGX
Master

Having patch panel will become very handy. And for the convenience

Message 6 of 8
TheEther
Guru

Why not run Cat 6A?  You only have one shot.  A wired backbone network can't be beat for it's reliability.

Message 7 of 8
Mizzou11
Aspirant

I already have all the wiring for 5E. I know 6 would be better but at this present time, I do not plan to live here for a long time. Just trying to look for a fast, maybe not the best way, but reliable home network to get me thru until either a.) I purchase a new house b.) my income grows, I decide to stay here, I will just hire a professional to rewire everything.

I did go out an buy a patch panel (24 port)  just in case I needed it.

So far, I have mapped out the wiring from the entertainment box in the garage, drilled thru the rafters in the basement, ran all the wires up thru the floor into the wall and out the wall where the wall plates will be in all rooms. Now its times to decide if I should do a patch panel or not before I start putting the router, modem, gigabit switch into the entertainment box

I appreciate everyone help and input into this matter..

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7