Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Slow internet speeds

ADOGG302
Follower

Slow internet speeds

I have a Comcast internet Pro+ plan. It is the 1000Mbps service.  I consistently see speeds at around 200Mbps or slower when testing with the Nighthawk app for the Router. Speedtest.net tests on pc's usually show slower than that. Comcast claims they see 900Mbps and are blaming my equipment I just purchased and the settings in them. Is there in fact any settings that can be adjusted? Or, as I suspect, this is a Comcast issue I must continually fight until I find the right person who will find and fix it? Thanks

Model: CM1000|Ultra-High Speed Cable Modem—DOCSIS® 3.1 Ready, R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Have the ISP check the signal and line quality UP to the modem. 
Be sure there are no coax cable line splitters in the between the modem and ISP service box. 
Be sure your using good quality RG6 coax cable up to the modem.

Be sure to speed test with a wired PC directly connected to the CM modem with out the NG router in the mix. IF you you have the R6400 series router, this router may not be capable of supporing near 900Mbps on the WAN to LAN speed tests. 

Message 2 of 8
AdeptMaven
Guide

It's a bit of a hassle but you can also rent one of Comcast's  gateways for a day or two and have it provisioned and compare speeds. If you get similar speeds then you know for sure its an issue with comcast provisioning or your cable lines. If the speed is much faster then you know the culprit is your equipment

Message 3 of 8
Redcape
Aspirant

I constantly see the "make sure there is no splitter" suggestion in troubleshooting internet speeds. Please explain how to connect a Netgear (Or any other brand)  Cable Modem/Router to Xfinity's ONE Coaxial Cable while at the same time connecting that SAME coaxial cable to Xfinity's Cable TV Set Top DVR or Cable box. Even Xfinity says this about the splitter when trouble shooting and it's not possible to not use a splitter unless Xfinity runs two seperate Coaxial Cables to your home from the pole. If the speeds suck because you're using a good quality splitter to create two connections, which are necessary in almost every home, then by design the system is the problem. I have never had a speed problem fixed by doing most of the generic fixes and it has never been caused by a splitter. lol

Message 4 of 8
Redcape
Aspirant

the reason I bought my own equipment is because I already tried their equipment and it sucked. I would assume most people who buy their own equipment do so because of the problems with their equipment.

Message 5 of 8
Redcape
Aspirant

I have the same exact problem. I pay for 1gb Xfinity Pro, Netgear C7800. Consistent 30mps speedtests on Windows 10 PC via ethernet, macBook Pro via ehternet, Windows laptop Via wifi, iPhone via wi-fi, PS4 speedtests via ethernet, android phone wifi. Consistent 30mps. That is 1/30th the speed I pay for. I know it's not my Netgear C7800. But I have to fight with Comast for 1.5 hours to finally get a tech to come test my lines, which I have asked them to do since the first Router/Modem they gave me, then through the second one they gave me (they're latest and greatest) and now with my own C7800. it has been on their end the entire time. I managed after one 2 hour call with a tech who cared to get it working - up until I tried to return my Comcast equipment - They had to "Change my account" to be able to get their system to accept the Modem back... ever since then, I am back at 30mps, literally 28-32mbs over 40 tests on 6 or 7 different devices. Bottom line is that Xfinity is the only game in my town, so I have to deal with their terrible company.

Message 6 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Depending upon the kind of splitter and quality of said unit, these can and do cause problems. .

@Redcape wrote:

I constantly see the "make sure there is no splitter" suggestion in troubleshooting internet speeds. Please explain how to connect a Netgear (Or any other brand)  Cable Modem/Router to Xfinity's ONE Coaxial Cable while at the same time connecting that SAME coaxial cable to Xfinity's Cable TV Set Top DVR or Cable box. Even Xfinity says this about the splitter when trouble shooting and it's not possible to not use a splitter unless Xfinity runs two seperate Coaxial Cables to your home from the pole. If the speeds suck because you're using a good quality splitter to create two connections, which are necessary in almost every home, then by design the system is the problem. I have never had a speed problem fixed by doing most of the generic fixes and it has never been caused by a splitter. lol

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this? 

@ADOGG302 wrote:

I have a Comcast internet Pro+ plan. It is the 1000Mbps service.  I consistently see speeds at around 200Mbps or slower when testing with the Nighthawk app for the Router. Speedtest.net tests on pc's usually show slower than that. Comcast claims they see 900Mbps and are blaming my equipment I just purchased and the settings in them. Is there in fact any settings that can be adjusted? Or, as I suspect, this is a Comcast issue I must continually fight until I find the right person who will find and fix it? Thanks

Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7