Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Slow throughput on CM1200

Arcuss88
Tutor

Slow throughput on CM1200

I moved to a new house and since moving in I've struggled with the speed of the internet.  I've called the ISP out 4 times now, they run their test, say everything is OK and then blame the modem. I purchased this one because the Ariss one they had provided was having the same issue, so I decided to get this one.  Confirmed it was compatible then called customer server to have the switch it over.
I'm paying for 1Gbps but the fastest I've ever seen is 250, once, usually it is around 120Mbps, connecting my computer directly to the modem.  The Sparklight guy tried telling me it was the NIC on my computer, but I confirmed with him that my NIC supports gig speeds.  I've rebooted it and now done a factory reset.  Port Aggrigation is disabled

Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

Re: Slow throughput on CM1200

Have you tried a different device? 

Maybe the sparklight guy was right but tough to know if you're only tested 1 device. 

And how are you testing? (site, server, etc)

What arris modem did you have? (still have it?)

Did sparklight try their own modem?

Message 2 of 6
Arcuss88
Tutor

Yes I got the CM1200 because the Arris was the Sparklight provided modem, and was still having this issue. I had called twice and had two techs come out and they all said the same thing. I had to send the Arris modem back so I don't have it anymore. I only have 1 laptop that has a 1GB NIC. I'm testing using the Ookla speedtest site.

Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

when 2 different modems from different manufacturers are having the same issue, it tends not to be the modem. The odds of 2 different devices being bad is pretty low. 

I'd see if you can borrow another laptop to test and if its still slow then you might have to do some creative solutions. 

What I mean by that is rent one of their modems from a month. If its not getting full speed, then they can't blame the equipment anymore. Its makes it purely on them to fix it. I've had to do this before when an ISP wouldn't believe it wasn't my equipment. 

And worst case scenario, it is the modem and if renting one gives you full speeds, then you have proof and can open and RMA with netgear. 

Message 4 of 6
Arcuss88
Tutor

Thanks for confirming what I was already thinking. It likely is an issue with thier connection, but the only way to prove it to them is to get their modem back and confirm the same issue.  Thanks, I guess I'll have to reach out to Sparklight and request a modem again. I'll update this post as I get more details.

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

FYI, I've had a CM1100 and CM1200 on Sparklight as well. Have not seen any issues where I'm located on there services. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7