Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Spectrum Gig CM1100

Tapple
Initiate

Spectrum Gig CM1100

So I was told by multiple agents that I can use my own modern for spectrum gig. Splurged on the high install cost, got their (generic) modem, checked that the cm1100 is compatible on their networks, and called to set it up. They added it to the account, activated it, then nothing. They can ping the modem and get information from it, but it refuses to give anything connected an ip address.

I'm positive this is a spectrum issue but they refuse to do anything, blame the modem, and tell me to contact Netgear. Tried to get them to open a ticket number or anything, they refuse.

Called Netgear and was told it was (obviously) a spectrum issue and referred me back. Please help. Are there any Netgear employee on the boards with back channels to spectrum, or anyone that has been through this that knows how I can get to a competent spectrum agent?
Model: CM1100|Nighthawk Multi-Gig Speed Cable Modem—DOCSIS 3.1
Message 1 of 23
plemans
Guru

Here's what I'd try. 

1. Reset the CM1100

2. When activating the CM1100, try using one gigabit port and if the setup process doesn't work, try the other. some have had success with 1 port over the other. 

3. After you plug in the CM1100, wait several minutes for it to fully boot. What are all the led's on the front doing? color/solid/blinking/etc.

4. After its fully booted. plug in your computer directly into the modem. Remove the router from the equation to limit potential problems. If you can get your computer working connected to the modem, you can get the router to work.

5. go through your activation process with spectum

Again, try this using both ethernet ports. 

@vkdelta Any ideas or contacts with spectrum?

Message 2 of 23
vkdelta
NETGEAR Expert

Please PM me 

- Spectrum account #

- CM MAC

- account holders name

- details of what Agent told you

- ipconfig or ifconfig from your laptop/mac

- Make sure you have connected ONLY 1 device behind CM.

Message 3 of 23
Tapple
Initiate

I appreciate the quick response. After going round with Spectrum I sent the modem back for a replacement with Amazon. I'll PM you once I get the replacement. Thanks again!

Message 4 of 23
Sisley
Aspirant

Works with Xfinity, Cox, and Spectrum. Meets DOCSIS 3.1 specs. And backward compatible with DOCSIS 3.0. 2 Gigabit Ethernet ports with link aggregation support MyKFCExperience. Support all cable internet speed tiers up to 2Gps (separate router required for WiFi). This product is not compatible with cable bundled voice services.

Message 5 of 23
TBizat
Aspirant

Did you get this working? I am having a hard time getting spectrum to lock all of my channels. I feel like this is an issue with Spectrum, but want to know what, if anything worked for you?

Model: CM1000|Ultra-High Speed Cable Modem—DOCSIS® 3.1 Ready
Message 6 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure you are using good quality RG6 coax cabling up to the modem. 

Be sure there are no cable coax line splitters in between the modem and ISP service box. 

Have the ISP come out and check the line...

@TBizat wrote:

Did you get this working? I am having a hard time getting spectrum to lock all of my channels. I feel like this is an issue with Spectrum, but want to know what, if anything worked for you?

Message 7 of 23
TBizat
Aspirant

I have a split. When troubleshooting this, I removed the spliter and used a different coaxe cable. The results were the same. I am not sure if it is a RG6 cable or what standard the coaxe I have is. I am getting the expected results on speed tests. Although, this is not what I am trying to improve. I want to reduce latency by leveraging the DOCSIS 3.1 and maxium bonded channels available to me. I think this is an issue with signaling from Spectrum, but also could be a firmware issue since Netgear states they issued Spectrum v3.1.6, but my modem is running v3.1.4. Spectrum refuses to acknowledge they push firmware updates to customer owned modems and is refusing to take much of any responsibility. 

Of the 32x8 channel bonding I am only getting 24 down and 4 up.... On the DOCSIS 3.1 2x2 OFDM/OFDMA channeling, I am only getting 1 down. I also see a high number / percentage of correctable errors and fortunately, no uncorrectrable errors..... Spectrum has assured me that they support 32x8 and 2x2 OFDM/OFDMA channeling at my residential location. I have attached an image of the lack of channel signaling... 

Model: CM1000|Ultra-High Speed Cable Modem—DOCSIS® 3.1 Ready
Message 8 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

I would test out a different Mfr modem.

If you don't know the catagory coax cabling, i would try to find out. It needs to be RG6 and not RG59. 

Message 9 of 23
TBizat
Aspirant

I just verified the coax is RG6. Initially, I was using a splitter. For my second test, I removed the spltter and used a gilbert URS-6 RG6 cable.

Message 10 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

I would have the ISP check there signal and channeling up to the modem. 

They will be able to see channels being used and such.

Message 11 of 23
TBizat
Aspirant

Been down that road a couple of times. Spectrum is very resistant to debug this since this is a customer owned modem... I am going to try to go to the Spectrum store today to get a Spectrum modem to check the signal to a Spectrum issued modem. 

Message 12 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

OK, let us know how it goes...

Message 13 of 23
TBizat
Aspirant

Spectrum internet support told me to go to the local Spectrum store to pick up a DOCSIS 3.1 modem, only to find out they have been out of stock for 1 week of the only DOCSIS 3.1 modem Spectrum issues. They told me to call the call center who told me they can't request model types or technology associated with the modems reuqested... This is rediculous since Spectrum refuses to troubleshoot my signaling coming to my modem for the 3.1 standard and it is nearly impossible to obtain the only Spectrum support modem with 3.1.....

Message 14 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

Sounds like your stuck between a rock and a hard place. 

Is the Arris SB8200 or Motorola MB8600 supported on Spectrum? 

Message 15 of 23
TBizat
Aspirant

Yeah I am not sure what to do. I am hoping they send me the DOCSIS 3.1 modem, but won't know until next week. If they don't, I am likely going to return the CM1000 and purchase the CM700 since the CM700 is listed as Approved for Spectrum internet < 400Mbps. The CM1000 is only "Minimally Qualified Modem".... I posted the link to the modems they approve and provide. The MB8600 and the SB8200 are minimally qualified as well. There is not a single modem a customer can buy that is approved by Spectrum and that supports DOCSIS 3.1. What a joke.... 

https://www.spectrum.net/support/internet/compliant-modems-charter-network/

I strongly believe this is a signaling issue on Spectrums end. My CM1000 is 32x8 channel bonding, but it is only using 24x4. I am hoping that the new modem they ship me is at least 32x8 even if it doesn't support DOCSIS 3.1. Atleast then, if the signaling isn't getting the 32x8 on their hardware, it is clear that the problem is on their end and not the CM1000. My other thought is, purchasing the CM700 (since it is approved) and trying to get all 32x8 channels. This could be difficult since Spectrum is quick to not support customer owned hardware.... even if it is on their authorized modems site...

Message 16 of 23
TBizat
Aspirant

Additionally in an attempt to resolve the signaling issue, I took my modem into my basement where the coax comes in from outside and plugged my modem in directly there. Same results. Tried a number of different RG6 coax that I had laying around and made no difference. I ordered some new high end coax cables and a coax connecter the supports 3 GHz. I doubt this will make a difference, but at this point, I am not leaving anything out!

Message 17 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya, have a friend that's on spectrum. Has told me stories of them not working well. Small support list of modems. 

Well the CM700 may do better. Unfortunately it's a Intel chipset based modem thus has known issues of there own with vulnerabilities. Can review this info here:

http://www.badmodems.com

The CM1100 is broadcom based and is preferred. I've enjoyed mine though I haven't had a change to test on it for a while. Been testing other modems. Smiley Wink

I see others have had issues as well:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/CM1100-Cable-Modem-NOT-Charter-Spectrum-Compat...

Not sure if vkdelta can be of any help here or not. 

Message 18 of 23
TBizat
Aspirant

Are you getting all 32x8 channels and the 2x2 OFDM locked by Spectrum on the CM1100?

Message 19 of 23
TBizat
Aspirant

Spectrum just sent me shipping confirmation for the Spectrum issued modem being sent from their warehosue. Here are the notes... I am assuming this is the Arris TM3402 or the Spectrum brand modem (didn't know that existed / see link). Too bad they didn't ship me a small UPS with it 😛

https://d15yx0mnc9teae.cloudfront.net/sites/default/files/Spectrum_D31_eMTA_Data_Sheet.pdf

Equipment Shipped: D3.1 WIRED EMTA W/O BATT

Message 20 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

This is what Arris shows for that model#:

https://www.arris.com/products/touchstone-tm3402-emta/

Message 21 of 23
ShreddyMcGnar
Aspirant

So I just tried activating a CM1000 on Spectrum. The first issue encountered was that the modem would not resolve an IP address and I could not connect to the internet. The solution to this was simple, the Spectrum tech actually assigned the speed wrong. She assigned it per the modem's capability and not my account. This creates a mismatch in their system and Spectrum then blocks the service to the modem. The rep had to correct the speed assignment to the modem from 1 Gbps to what I'm paying for, which is 110 Mbps. Once she did this, everything worked fine.

The second issue is this... Spectrum has not yet fully certified this modem on their networks yet and have set a speed limiting policy for it to 70 Mbps down and 6 Mbps up. You will be limited to this as its their "policy" for this not yet fully certified modem. 

They suggested I return the CM 1000 and get a CM600 which is fully certified for the Spectrum network and will not be subjected to speed limitations. 

This seems to be an issue with Spectrum, NOT the CM1000 or CM1100.

I suggest returning the modem for a different model because they told me they don't know when they will lift this ridiculous speed limit until they get it fully certified.

But if you want to keep it and resolve your issue. Just tell them to assign the speed so it matches with your account. Should fix the connection/IP resolve issue.

Message 22 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks for letting us know your experiences. 

@ShreddyMcGnar wrote:

So I just tried activating a CM1000 on Spectrum. The first issue encountered was that the modem would not resolve an IP address and I could not connect to the internet. The solution to this was simple, the Spectrum tech actually assigned the speed wrong. She assigned it per the modem's capability and not my account. This creates a mismatch in their system and Spectrum then blocks the service to the modem. The rep had to correct the speed assignment to the modem from 1 Gbps to what I'm paying for, which is 110 Mbps. Once she did this, everything worked fine.

The second issue is this... Spectrum has not yet fully certified this modem on their networks yet and have set a speed limiting policy for it to 70 Mbps down and 6 Mbps up. You will be limited to this as its their "policy" for this not yet fully certified modem. 

They suggested I return the CM 1000 and get a CM600 which is fully certified for the Spectrum network and will not be subjected to speed limitations. 

This seems to be an issue with Spectrum, NOT the CM1000 or CM1100.

I suggest returning the modem for a different model because they told me they don't know when they will lift this ridiculous speed limit until they get it fully certified.

But if you want to keep it and resolve your issue. Just tell them to assign the speed so it matches with your account. Should fix the connection/IP resolve issue.

Message 23 of 23
Discussion stats
  • 22 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7