Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Spectrum Gig Internet Problem with CM1200

DonPachuco
Tutor

Spectrum Gig Internet Problem with CM1200

So, since September 8th, 2020, I've had nothing but problems with my internet. At the time it began, I had 400Mbps service, and was using my CM600 modem, and an Asus RT-AC3200 router. At the point that this began, I didn't know what the issue was, and of course they said things were ok. After having either a call, chat, or tech visit every day for two plus weeks, I decided to replace things. I bought the CM1200 modem, since it is a DOCSIS 3.1 modem, and a TP-Link AX11000 router, so my wife's S20+ and my Note 20 Ultra could utilize the whole Wi-Fi 6 standard. I have had PAGES of errors in the modem log. I was misled my one of their tech support reps, who told me, that this was a 100% fresh install, and that the line to house was fiber, so even though they couldn't fix me up on the 400, I had the gig "installed", which was no install, not fiber, and I haven't broken 650Mbps yet. Oddly enough, when I speed test, it's faster over Wi-Fi than wired. They continue to blow smoke up my @$$. They disconnected, reconnected, then disconnected again, the amplifier that was in the mix. They changed filters in line. They replaced my drop line. Instead of replacing all the lines in my house, and I only have 3 TVs and the modem, the one tech went around cutting off and replacing all the end nuts. According to Netgear, the CM1200 could handle up to 10Gb in theory, and that the Spectrum Gig, which is actually only 940Mbps, isn't even scratching the surface. When the last tech and his stupervisor left, they left all my wiring in the basement exposed (didn't put the ceiling tile back), but left the Amp disconnected and nothing going to the filter. They were both supposed to come back this week, on Monday, Wednesday, or Friday, and then canceled. No one from Spectrum or Netgear has been of any real use, despite sending readings and modem logs. I don't know what to do from here, but I am going to be paying a guy to run all brand new Media Bridge, quad-shielded coax throughout the house and probably buying a commercial duty amp, and eliminating the filter, or having a solid new line for just the modem, separate from everything else, that was on the 4-port splitter. Does anyone in the community maybe have a clue? Signals and log posted. Thanks in advance!
Model: CM1200|Nighthawk Multi-Gig Speed Cable Modem
Message 1 of 10
DonPachuco
Tutor

Re: Spectrum Gig Internet Problem with CM1200

Log
Message 2 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Have the ISP check the signal and line quality UP to the modem. 
Be sure there are no coax cable line splitters in the between the modem and ISP service box. 
Be sure your using good quality RG6 coax cable up to the modem. 

Message 3 of 10
plemans
Guru

You have a ton of errors in your lines. 

Before running new stuff throughout the house, ensure the line coming into the house is good. directly connect the modem there and use it for a while. Then check the signals page and logs again. If they look like they do, the issue is external to the home and running new wiring in the home won't be a benefit. 

Also, when running both cable tv and a modem, when the wire enters the home it should hit a single splitter. With 1 leg for the modem and the rest can then be sent to a different splitter to feed the reset of the home. this keeps the signal as clean as possible for the modem. 

Message 4 of 10
DonPachuco
Tutor

The dummies at Spectrum are lazy. Over the years, even prior to my ownership, there's been time Warner, directv, dish, etc. My drop ceiling looks like spaghetti. They will not remove all the lines and start 100% fresh, without charge, and I honestly don't trust them anymore. I'd rather pay a local home theater, A/V contractor to re-run everything after it enters the house. Spectrum also always takes the easy way out. They said, "it's common practice to run one line to the TV closest to the modem, and split it for connecting the modem" (because drilling one more hole and running another 20 feet of line is soooooo time consuming... The drop is replaced. They did say somewhere there were plate/plant issues, but only God knows when the F anything will be done on that. So, basically the line comes into the house, gets amped to a 4-way, with a -10db filter, up to the living room, where a -3db splitter goes to the cable box and modem. They have no idea what they are doing. As long as their stupid meter shows "all green", they DGAF. I'm no tech, but it seems to me, there should be a 2-way line split at entry; one only to the modem, with full signal pass through (maybe even amped), then the other side to everything else. I don't think boxes require much, especially since the pole/plate are less than 90 feet away.
Message 5 of 10
plemans
Guru

Again, hook up directly where the line comes in. put a splitter prior to the 4 way and amp and run the 1 leg to the modem. If everything looks good and works, then it is indeed the wiring in the home. 

Amps in my experience only create issues when they're inline with the modem. If the signal isn't good enough to the point they need an amp prior to the mode, then the signal they're amplify tends to be bad. 

Message 6 of 10
DonPachuco
Tutor

I don't honestly know where the line comes in at this point. In my drop ceiling, there's old black coax, both thicker and thinner, white coax, and then new-er black coax. I have no way to know what goes to what/where, unless someone pulls all of it out and starts over.
Message 7 of 10
plemans
Guru

they make some pretty cheap coax tracers.

https://www.amazon.com/Stanz-Pocket-coaxial-tracker-finder/dp/B01KZ0PL44

easy way to see where each cable goes and label them

Message 8 of 10
DonPachuco
Tutor

So, this is where I am at now. I had the guys that installed my home theater wiring handle everything from where the drop attaches to the house. I bought bulk, quad-shieled Media Bridge cable and Belden ends. I helped them pull all of my old interior cabling, and we began a square one. I bought a new ground block for the back of the house, because as we know, Spectrum cuts corners. Supply coming into the house goes 2 ways, one solid, uncut, unmolested cable straight to the modem, the other side goes to a 1 in, 3 out to my boxes. All of the ethernet in my house is cat8, because I am Captain Overkill. All of my networking equipment is less than a year old now, and the 2 main pieces, the modem and router, are less than 2 months old. Despite all of this, and spending the money on cable, ends, ground block, labor, etc., SSDD. Spectrum has been aware of either a plant, node, or both, issue for quite some time. Their network field services team, is obviously crap, and does not care or know how to fix the problem, in a month and 6 days. Internet is still intermittent, I still have to power cycle equipment (not every day, but still), speed tests are all over (as low as 19Mbps to 812Mbps download), never near the 940Mbps, that I pay for, whether it is wired or wireless. In many cases, I actually have faster speeds over Wi-Fi, and in others, it is negligible, only +/- 50 Mbps difference. 812Mbps is the absolute highest speed ever achieved, and was the anomaly. The Spectrum business class, internet supervisor was sent out to my home, with another tech. The sup thought he was Einstein, and that the issues absolutely must be my equipment, so he brought with him, one of their modem/router combos, and a laptop running Win7, both of which, he "tested back at the office and are capable of gig speeds". Well, guess what? Three hours later after disconnecting and reconnecting their stuff and my stuff, surprise, surprise, it made ZERO difference.

I have been saying since September 8th, 2020, that the problem was outside of the house, and no one, not anyone on the phone, chat, or techs, were willing to listen. So, after all my time and money wasted, I am still at the mercy of the complete tools Spectrum has working out in the field.

At least I know it's not my modem, or any of my equipment. It's just too bad all of the time and money spent, just to clarify what I already knew.
Message 9 of 10
plemans
Guru

Sorry you went to so much work!

It is sad when we're at the mercy of the ISPs. 

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7