Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Supplied patch cable

Reggiewilliams1
Aspirant

Supplied patch cable

Do I need to use the supplied patch cable or can I use a longer cable when connecting my router to Verizon Fios
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
TheEther
Guru

Re: Supplied patch cable

Interesting.  That looks like a Shielded Ethernet cable.  I wonder why they included it?  Not only is it more expensive but, AFAIK, it's not required for indoor, residential environments, nor is it required for Gigabit Ethernet.  Shielded Ethernet is more immune to radio interference, but additional precautions may be needed to insure proper electrical grounding.

Check the manual that came with your device.  Unless it explicitly mandates the use of this cable, you should be able to use any regular, unshielded cable.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6

All Replies
TheEther
Guru

Any patch cable, preferably Cat 5e or better, should work.

Message 2 of 6
Reggiewilliams1
Aspirant

They supply a yellow cable that has some metal foil on the ends. Can you see if a standard cake can be substituted?
Message 3 of 6
TheEther
Guru

Not sure what you mean.  Can you post a picture?  You can click on the Insert/Edit image icon to upload a picture. 

Message 4 of 6
Reggiewilliams1
Aspirant

image.jpeg

Message 5 of 6
TheEther
Guru

Interesting.  That looks like a Shielded Ethernet cable.  I wonder why they included it?  Not only is it more expensive but, AFAIK, it's not required for indoor, residential environments, nor is it required for Gigabit Ethernet.  Shielded Ethernet is more immune to radio interference, but additional precautions may be needed to insure proper electrical grounding.

Check the manual that came with your device.  Unless it explicitly mandates the use of this cable, you should be able to use any regular, unshielded cable.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7