Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Trying to bypass firewall on C6300 for VPN server

TylerDNA
Tutor

Trying to bypass firewall on C6300 for VPN server

Hi all,

I am trying to turn a raspberry pi into a vpn server for my home. I want to do this so I can remotely monitor my home computers while I am away from the house. I have assigned my pi a static IP via reserved addresses, I have port forwarded for that address with the available Netgear Genie options, and I have upgraded my firmware. 

Currently I have a Netgear C6300 Firmware Version: 2.01.18. The tutorials that I have found via google hint to changing firewall settings within the GUI for the router. There is no such category in either the basic or advanced options. The router's firewall is prohibiting me from port forwarding for my vpn. When I called netgear customer support I was told that I needed to spend $120 just to get technical guidance! 

My goal is to open a port (which my ISP has already approved of) to allow for incoming connections from myself, wherever I am. I would like a private tunnel from my connection to the internet to my home. This would make file transfers and file sharing much easier and allow me to securely browse the web. 

Is this something I need to do via DMZ server settings or disabling of SIP ALG? No, I have already tried that to no avail.

If anyone has experience or FREE guidance on this topic, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time. 

-Tyler

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
TylerDNA
Tutor

Actually, the pi community's ability to help stops at the internal firewall settings of the C6300.

UPDATE: By enabling my VPN's IP address to be the Default DMZ Server I was able to connect to my home network from an outside network. That was the solution.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4

All Replies

Wouldn't the Pi community be a better bet for advice on this?

You may be limited because you are using a cable modem/router. There is a community of unofficial router hackers out there, but they don't handle all hardware, preferring to work on routers when they produce customised firmware for Netgear kit.

Message 2 of 4
TylerDNA
Tutor

Actually, the pi community's ability to help stops at the internal firewall settings of the C6300.

UPDATE: By enabling my VPN's IP address to be the Default DMZ Server I was able to connect to my home network from an outside network. That was the solution.

Message 3 of 4

OK. I've just written >3000 words about the Pi and the people who invented it praised the skills and knowledge of the user world.

I thought later that the VPN approach might not be needed so much as Allow Remote Access. But that may not give you everything you want.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7