Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Turning off wifi on cable modem C7100V + R7800

vbjd1111
Follower

Turning off wifi on cable modem C7100V + R7800

I have a newly purchased Nighthawk AC1900/C7100V cable modem (with voice) AND a newly purchased Nighthawk X4S AC2600 R7800 Wifi Router.   Both have their own wifi networks, and I only want to run the wifi on the router as I have heard that competing wifi in the same space can degrade performance.   To complicate things, I also want to run a wired ethernet connnection off the cable modem (this seems to help run two VPN sessions at the same time when my spouse and I are working from home -- she runs her VPN on the router and I run mine on the modem).    I read about putting the modem into bridge mode but worry that would mean I could not use the other wired ports?   

So to summarize --

I want best WiFi performance possible from the router.

and I want to run an ethernet cable from the cable modem at the same time.  

Thoughts/solutions?    Thanks.   

Message 1 of 2

Re: Turning off wifi on cable modem C7100V + R7800

@vbjd1111 wrote:

I have a newly purchased Nighthawk AC1900/C7100V cable modem (with voice) AND a newly purchased Nighthawk X4S AC2600 R7800 Wifi Router.

You run the risk of running two routers on the same network. This means that you can end up with conflicts because the two devices are trying to control what goes where.

You have two options, run the modem in bridge mode or use the R7800 in access point mode.

I am no expert on VPN operations so I don't understand why you need to run the connections off the modem. Rather than assuming that you have to operate like that, I would investigate how you should set up your network to achieve the required end result, making no assumptions in advance.

On the modem's wifi. If all you want to do is to turn that off, press the wifi switch on the top.

There is a manual for the C7100V somewhere at the end of this link:

>>>> C7100V | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<<

See page 83.

But you will still run into the clashing routers scenario.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7