Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Unable to connect to the Internet - CM500

sid86
Initiate

Unable to connect to the Internet - CM500

I have Optimum as my Internet Provider. For 1 Year I had the netgear CM500 and it worked like a charm. Today suddenly there is no connection to the internet. On checking the modem lights, can see that the Downstream is blinking in Amber. I contacted Optimum support and they said that I need to replace the Modem. How can that be! My modem suddenly just stops functioning ?!
Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

Re: Unable to connect to the Internet - CM500

It does happen that devices go bad. Not saying thats what happened though. Optimum is great at saying 3rd party equipment is bad when it isn't. Reason why is they don't support it. If it was their equipment, they tend to troubleshoot more.

Blinking amber means its searching for a downstream channel. It usually either points to a signal issue or a bad modem.

What are all the lights on the router doing? 

If you log into the modem (192.168.100.1), take a screen snip of your modem connections page and your logs. Post them back here. this gives us a snap shot of your connection back to your isp.

I'd also recommend removing any splitters, amplifiers, attenuators from your coax line. If possible, move the modem to right where the coax enters the home. If its not possible, check each connection for damage, corrosion, being loose. Sometimes just unscrewing and screwing back in loosens to corrosion. also check the coax cable for kinks, damage, water damage, etc. 

Message 2 of 4
sid86
Initiate

Thanks for the response. Yes you are right in saying Optimum is quick to blame 3rd party equipment. So to prove my point I took the trouble to go to their store, get their modem box, set it up, and again had the same issue. They finally had to send a technician to fix it. Turns out no issues at all with the modem(s). It was an issue with the signal coming in via the coax.
Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

glad to hear you've (hopefully) got it straightened out!

let us know if you have further issues and we'll do our best

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7