Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Unable to log into CAX80 it reverts back to PwdRec

tobiasrubin
Aspirant

Unable to log into CAX80 it reverts back to PwdRec

When I try to access the CAX80 at 192.168.1.1 it reverts back to 192.168.1.1/PwdRec_index.htm.  The only way I can get rid of this is to reboot, but that becomes annoying over time.  Any help would be greatly apprecited

tobiasrubin_0-1670279994237.png

Message 1 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Unable to log into CAX80 it reverts back to PwdRec

What FW version is loaded? 

What browser are you using? 

Be sure to clear out all browser caches AND any saved browser PW profiles for the modems URL address. 

Try a different browser as well. 

Message 2 of 16
tobiasrubin
Aspirant

I have the latest FW.
Doesn't matter what browser is used.
Yes I tried clearing history, cache, etc.
Nothing seems to work but a reboot, and then in a week or so it happens again.
Message 3 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? A complete pull of the power adapters for a period of time after the factory reset then walk thru the setup wizard and setup from scratch with a wired PC and web browser.

I've not seen this with my CAX80 and using MS Edge or Opera. I did ensure that the password manager for the browsers were cleared one time that I tried to log in with a browser that was using a incorrect saved PW. Once I cleared this, have not seen this again. 

Message 4 of 16
tobiasrubin
Aspirant

Yes I have performed a complete factory reset and eventually the problem comes.
Message 5 of 16
tobiasrubin
Aspirant

Yes I have performed a complete factory reset and eventually the problem comes back.
Message 6 of 16
My_Username
Guide

Mine did this recently as well, I am running 2.1.5.2. It started after a short term coax disconnect for a wiring re-route. It has been up several days since the factory reset and fresh setup from scratch. I'll start a new thread if that changes.

It seems like it's always something with this thing.

IMO the CAX80 is just a hot mess...

Message 7 of 16
plemans
Guru

I know this sounds stupid but are you hitting the password requirements when you set it up? 

It forces users to change the password when they don't hit minimum requirements. 

required: 

10 characters that are at least: 

1 upper case 

1 lower case

1 number

1 special character

Message 8 of 16
tobiasrubin
Aspirant

You bring up a great point regarding password requirement and yes I believe I am hitting on all of Netgear's password requirments.

Message 9 of 16
plemans
Guru

what happens if you try using the modem ip address? 192.168.100.1

Message 10 of 16
tobiasrubin
Aspirant

Same result.

Message 11 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Might try this, if you can get in, manually re-load the same FW version on to the modem. Clear out all browser caches and password profiles from the browser. After it's back to ready, use the ERASE function on the modem under Advanced tab/Administration/Backup. 

Walk thru the setup wizard and set up the modem from scratch...

Message 12 of 16
My_Username
Guide

In my case this behavior *may* have had something to do with password requirements. If so - inconsistent coding is also involved.

Plemans says that at least 1 special character is required. The password change page lists every requirement plemans listed except special characters. The PW change page accepted passwords without special characters but then returned immediately to the PW change page.

If I factory reset the system would accept my PW sans special characters and appear to run fine. I could change setting, restart etc. When I removed the coax the modem tried to enter its stupid boot loop and came back to the PW reset page.

The CAX80 appears to have a half-baked requrement for special characters in the PW. I never noticed any of this before 2.1.5.2

-----------------

I need the connection now so I haven't pulled the cable to test. The unit *did* do s normal start after entering a PW with a special character.

Message 13 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

I use two upper case letters, 5 lower case letters and 3 numbers. I've not seen any issues thus far with this kind of PW config on v21.5.2. The only time I did was when the browser kept using a old save PW profile that I though was correct and once I cleared this profile, the issue hasn't re-appeared. 

Message 14 of 16
ThomasDW
Aspirant

Have you ever found solution to this? I am also having this issue. Resetting my cable modem every time this happens is not an option. My password has all the marks Upper, Lower, Number, and Special (hyphen).

Message 15 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

I don't use special characters, only Upper, Lower and numbers. 

Be sure to clear out all browser caches and remove any saved PW profiles for the modem from the browser, then re-install the PW profile. 

I use MS-Edge. 

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7