Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Unmanaged GS308 + Nighthawk CM2050V

g4b1t0
Follower

Unmanaged GS308 + Nighthawk CM2050V

Hello, hoping someone can help me figure out the following:

I have a CM2050V that I am now using and is replacing a Xfinity modem, xfinity was able to make the transition without problems.

from the only port the CM2050V it is connected to a GS308 that is supposed to distribute wired Internet to different locations through out my home but only one port works at a time and that port goes to my living room, the others that go to other locations of the house stay on default on 192.168... IP address, everything is patched with new CAT6 cables.

any ideas on how I can get the other ports to recognize the IP address the CM2050V is sending?

thanks!

Message 1 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Unmanaged GS308 + Nighthawk CM2050V

To make that work right, you need a external wifi router in between the CM modem and GS series switch. The CM series modem is a modem only. Does NOT have a built in router.

Message 2 of 3
plemans
Guru

Re: Unmanaged GS308 + Nighthawk CM2050V

Like @FURRYe38 says, the cm2050v is a modem only device. It doesn't have any routing capability. 

And Xfinity is one of those isp's that only allocate 1 public ip address. So you need a router that takes that public ip address and assigns private ip addresses. The GS308 doesn't have any nat/dhcp/routing capability. So you need to go modem--->router--->switch

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7