Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Update Modem Firmware Manually

zunka
Guide

Update Modem Firmware Manually

I am using CM1150v Modem with OPTIMUM (in NJ).  Since this is not a modem provided by OPTIMUM they will not push any firmware updates.

Netgear KB does not provide any solution.

How can I update the firmware manually?

Model: CM1150V|DOCSIS 3.1 Nighthawk® Multi-Gig Speed Cable Modem for XFINITY® Voice
Message 1 of 14
plemans
Guru

Re: Update Modem Firmware Manually

You can't. 

Modem only devices aren't user updateable. 

And many ISP's rarely update firmware. 

You're not alone in this issue. 

What issue are you having that you believe you need a firmware update? 

Message 2 of 14
zunka
Guide

@plemans wrote:

You can't. 

Modem only devices aren't user updateable. 

And many ISP's rarely update firmware. 

You're not alone in this issue. 

What issue are you having that you believe you need a firmware update? 

Been using CM1150V for about a year, I was consistently getting speed of 850 to 940 Mbsp for  1 Gig service. 

Last three weeks, speed has dropped to 30 Mbps!   Absolutely no change in my setup. 

OPTIMUM says nothing has changed at their end. But I don't trust their tech support. They are mostly clueless just reading a script.

I have hardwire Ethernet from Modem directly to my desktop. No router or any other devices.

Eliminating possibilities. Therefore thought updating Frimware to see if that resolves the issue.

Message 3 of 14
plemans
Guru

Do you have a screen snip of the cable connection page and the event logs? 

That lets us check the signal

Message 4 of 14
zunka
Guide

Few minutes ago I did a hard reset on the modem (put paper clip in the Reset buttom at the back of the modem).

This seems to have resolved the problem My speed is back up to 940 Mbps. 

The Event logs got cleared as part of the reset. Therefore are not of much value. 

I will keep checking the speed over the next day and post the details you asked for if it drops back to 30 Mbps.

Thank you.

Message 5 of 14
plemans
Guru

Good luck, hope it was that simple of a fix. 

Message 6 of 14
zunka
Guide

Unfortunately after little over a month, my speed has unexpected dropped to 30 Mbps.  Last time a hard reset solved the problem but want to know what is causing it.

I have attached the Cable Connection and Event Lot.  Can you help figure out the root cause?

Again, I have not made any changes to my setup nor installed any new software.

Thank you in advance.

Model: CM1150V|DOCSIS 3.1 Nighthawk® Multi-Gig Speed Cable Modem for XFINITY® Voice
Message 7 of 14
plemans
Guru

You have a ton of errors in your connections page and the event logs. 

Check your line for kinks, damage, old/bad/corroded/cheap connectors. 

replace splitters or signal attenuators if you have them. 

If that doesn't help, have the isp check the line. 

Message 8 of 14
zunka
Guide

There is only one splitter to split cable entering house into TV and Modem. No visible corossion or damage. I will replace splitter and cable from splitter to modem. Let's see if that solves the problem.
Thank you for your prompt reponse.

Message 9 of 14
plemans
Guru

Hope it works!

Try direct connecting it (without the tv) to test it. 

If you still have issues, look back further down the line.

If you don't find any other issues, the ISP will need to check the line. 

Again, good luck. It can be frustrating chasing line errors. 

Message 10 of 14
zunka
Guide

Replaced the splitter and the cable from splitter to modem with best I could find on Amazon. Tried without TV. 

The Cable Connection doesn't have that many uncorrectables. But unfortunately the speed is still 30 Mbps.  

New logs are attached.

It looks like I am at the end of the line 🙂 and will have to call ISP (Optimum).

Is is possible the modem has developed fault?    Would it be worth replacing it? I am not very confident about ISP technicians, it is a hit or miss. 

Message 11 of 14
plemans
Guru

It could be a modem failure. Its always a chance. 

something I've had to do before was to rent a modem from an ISP to get them to prove it was either a line or modem issue. (was the line). Cost me $10 to rent for a month and then I returned it. 

Sometimes thats an option you can use. And if it fixes the problem, then you know its the modem. Maybe you're still within warranty? 
To check, click on "mynetgear" at the top. register an account and the device. From there you an check warranty

Message 12 of 14
zunka
Guide

My warranty has expired. It has been slightly over an year since I purchased. Let me try the option you suggested.  Hopefully if the technician brings a modem with him/her that we could try out, there may not even be a need to rent. 

Thank you.

Message 13 of 14
plemans
Guru

Good luck!
Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements