Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Updating firmware manually

rimorob
Initiate

Updating firmware manually

Hello!  I have a C7000v2 and its firmware is slightly out of date (v 1.02.13 as opposed to 1.02.14).  Unfortunately, the menu item for updating it myself is missing from the router's menu, and the windows app says that there's no update available.  Apparently, this is because the router is a cable modem hybrid and is supposed to be managed by my ISP.  The ISP, not to be outdone by Netgear, tells me it's my own problem and they only manage the modems leased from them.  Meantime, I can't activate circle or connect the Nighthawk app to the router because its firmware is out of date.  Netgear recommends that I return the router as defective and thereby get a firmware update.  However, the next time they release an update I will once again get a fancy unmaintainable brick.  What's my way out of this conundrum?  How can it be that between the ISP and Netgear the owners are reduced to throwing away a $200 piece of equipment?

Model: C7000|Nighthawk - AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

The trick to not having it happen? Buy a modem seperate from a router. The isp will still control the modem firmware but then you have a router that you can keep updated. 

At the current time all modem/router combo devices have their firmware controlled by the ISP. Netgear does update the firmware on them and sends it to the ISP. But the ISP has to validate it (make sure everything works properly) and it costs the isp $. So they don't do it unless its a critical update. 

I'd agree that its a sad state of affairs but Netgear can't make the ISP's update the firmware

Message 2 of 4
rimorob
Initiate

I don't think Netgear gets to swear off responsibility here.  They should not sell hybrid devices direct-to-consumer if the current state of affairs is that they become bricks with the next firmware update.  It's irresponsible and misleading to sell a product that cannot function the length of its warranty period.

Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

this is the case in the whole industry. Not just netgear.

Any combo device currently has their firmware controlled by the isp. 

Maybe in the future there''ll be a way to seperate out the firmware that controls the modem from the router but at the current state of affairs, you can't without actually buying a modem seperate from the router. 

And again, they DO provide the update to the isp. its the isp that has to choose to implement it. 

And what incentive do ISP's have to do that? it costs them $ to verify it as well as if they make 3rd party equipment work better on their service, then people aren't going to buy the ISP's equipment and they can't overcharge you for it. there's no benefit to the ISP. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7