Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Upgrading Internet Speed, Reliability, and Connectivity

oldglory1776
Tutor

Upgrading Internet Speed, Reliability, and Connectivity

Hi all, I am loking for input and adivce on how best to upgrade my internet speed, realiability, and connectivity. 

My current set-up is Internet Service: (300 Mbps Cox Internet (Scottsdale, AZ) -> Modem: ARRIS SURFboard 16 x 4 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem (Model No. SB6183) -> Router: Linksys - Velop AC2200 Tri-Band Mesh Wi-Fi 5 System (Model No. WHW03).  My most recent Broadband Spped Tests have been yielding 60 mbps download speeds and 23 mbps uplaod speeds in my office, which is where I spend the majority of my time connected to the internet.

I am thinking of going to one to the following set-ups, welcome to any and all thoughts.....

Idea A (Total Cost ~$660):

Internet Service: Cox Gigablast (Scottsdale, AZ) (940 bmps download / 35 mbps upload)

Modem/Router: NETGEAR  - Nighthawk Dual-Band AX6000 Wi-Fi 6 Router with 32 x 8 DOCIS 3.1 Cable Modem (Model No. CAX80-100NAS) & NETGEAR - Nighthawk AX1800 Dual-Band Mesh Wi-Fi 6 System (Model No. MK62-100NAS)

Idea B (Total Cost ~$1,250) 

Internet Service: Cox Gigablast (Scottsdale, AZ) (940 bmps download / 35 mbps upload)

Modem: NETGEAR  - Nighthawk 32 x 8 DOCIS 3.1 Cable Modem (Model No. CM2000-100NAS)

Router: NETGEAR - Orbi AX6000 Tri-Band Mesh WiFi System (Model No. RBK853-100NAS)

Idea C (Total Cost ~$1,200) 

Modem: NETGEAR  - Nighthawk 32 x 8 DOCIS 3.1 Cable Modem (Model No. CM1200-100NAS)

Router: NETGEAR - Orbi AX6000 Tri-Band Mesh WiFi System (Model No. RBK853-100NAS)

I know these are relatively expensive set-ups but with how much we are using the internet, it is something we are willing to invest.  Any and all thoughts are welcome!

Model: CM1200|Nighthawk Multi-Gig Speed Cable Modem
Message 1 of 7
plemans
Guru

Re: Upgrading Internet Speed, Reliability, and Connectivity

How big is your home? 

What's it made of for the interior walls? Certain materials block wifi very well. 

Reason I ask is the WHW0303 is a pretty solid mesh system in terms of performance. Its actually ranked #2 in terms of AC mesh systems. 

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/tools/rankers/wifi-system/view

It should have no issue handling 300mbps. (you won't hit that speed if you're connected to 2.4ghz because its slower) You do get some drop off of speed with moving from node to node but its a solid performer. 

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/33132-wi-fi-system-retest-netgear-ac3000-o...

I'd be a bit curious why you aren't able to max out your speeds before investing in a new system. reason why is if its a line issue from cox, it'd be pointless to upgrade. Or if its a home structure issue, the $ might be better invested in having someone hardwire in a few ethernet jacks around the home. Or moca adapters.

Again, it'd be better to find out what the actual bottlenecks in the system are before dropping a grand on a new system.  

Message 2 of 7
oldglory1776
Tutor

Thank you @plemans!

The home is 3,200 square feet. It has 1/2 inch thick drywall interior walls.

How else would you recommend troubleshooting, should I pay to have Cox come out and test the line?

Your advice is greatly appreciated.
Message 3 of 7
oldglory1776
Tutor

@plemans One other thing to share.  My speed tests standing next to the modem/router is running 280 mbps+ download speeds.  

When I run the test anywhere downstairs (my modem/router is upstairs) the tests are coming back in the 45-55 mbps range.  It may have something to do the flooring/ceiling or the two routers downstairs are not functioning correctly with the mesh system.

Thoughts?

Message 4 of 7
plemans
Guru

The 3200sqft is about perfect for your setup. I have a similar sized home and structure and used to run a route plus 2 satellites for indoors and it covered fine. 

Here's how I'd start troubleshooting. 

1. hardwired directly into the modem with a pc/laptop.  Ensure you get full speed at the mode. 

2. Then test the router and each satellite hardwired in with the pc/laptop. You want to make sure the router is getting full speeds from the modem. And then you want to ensure proper placement of the satellites. They can be to close together. Netgear usually recommends a minimum of 30 feet from router---satellite to ensure devices roam properly.  write down what speeds you're getting. 

If you're getting full speed from the router and then decent speeds from the satellites hardwired in, then it'd be time to start troubleshooting the wireless on the satellites. Since you say the router gets full speed when close to it. You might check with linksys and/or their forums for specific settings with the velop. I've never used it but I have used several other mesh systems and many times optimizing can make significant differences. 

If you don't get decent speeds hardwired in, then I'd investigate placement of the satellites as well as again, check with linksys forum/support. 

That system should be able to function quite well. I'm not pushing you away from netgear but it should be a pretty solid setup you have for what your speeds. once you hit gigabit, then an upgrade to AX would be beneficial (if you have AX devices).

and again, maybe you want to investigate hardwiring in the satellites. I know in my home, all my phone lines were ran with cat5e line and I was able to switch all the jacks to RJ45 and have a switch in my utility room. so for roughly $50 (diy) i was able to hardwire in many devices and all my satellites. It significantly improved performance in my home. 

Message 5 of 7
oldglory1776
Tutor

Thank you @plemans.  I am working through the troubleshooting you outlined, and am waiting on hold with Linksys tech support as we speak.  Thank you again.

I am going to switch to the Cox Gigablast Service, with the current promotion it is actually cheaper than what I am paying now for the 300 mbps service.  Which means I need to upgrade my modem - any suggestions?

Message 6 of 7
plemans
Guru

I wouldn't go with CAX80. I have it and love it on xfinity. But when we find people with issues on here for the CAX80, its tending to be people who are Cox service. 

So I'd go with a standalone modem like the CM1000, CM1100, or CM2000. (provided they're compatible, check with cox just to confirm)

I also wouldn't recommend the CM1200. it has extra ports but on cox, they're pointless as you can't use port 3/4 unless you have a business class line or pay for extra ip address. And port 2 only works if using wan port aggregation or again pay for extra IP addresses. 

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7