Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Upgrading from 16/4 Channels to 24/8 Channels

leehop71
Aspirant

Upgrading from 16/4 Channels to 24/8 Channels

Greetings!  Newbie here. 

I have a Netgear C6300 modem router combo.

I am in the process of adding Ring Security doorbell, cameras, and lighting around my house, in addition to the devices I already have that use Wi-Fi.

I dont' have the project finished yet, but when it is, I will have around 20 devices that will connect to the internet.

Since my current router is a 16/4 channel, I was wondering if I would get more stability and whether it would be worth my while to upgrade to a modem router combo that offers the 24/8 channel configuration?

Thanks in advance!!

Lee

Model: C6300|AC1750 Cable Modem Router Docsis 3.0
Message 1 of 8
plemans
Guru

The C6300 is rated for 680 mbps download optimally. That means signals, channels, your coax, your line, etc are all perfect. You don't say what you're paying for or if you currently get the speed you pay for. That the biggest question. If its working and you're getting the speeds you pay for, upgrading isn't going to help unless you're trying for better wifi coverage. But that'd be a different conversation. 

For a while I was running around 40 wireless devices and 20 wired devices over a 100 mbps connection (now gigabit for my own satisfaction). Everything ran fine. So its about making sure you get the speeds you're paying for and your wireless layout adequately covers the area. I'd try the new setup and see how it works and if something else needs optimizing before jumping to a new modem. 

Hope this helps a little. 

Message 2 of 8
leehop71
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply.  Actually I have Ring devices and was coming across some issues that support suggestions did not solve.  I decided to do away with the combo since consensus was that separate modem was much more stable.

I sold the combo and upgraded to a CM7000 32/8 channels and a R6350.  The Ring devices are working flawless now.  My home is small 1556sq ft, but my router is at the front of the house where the Comcast cable is.

I'm waiting on Ring devices for the back of the house, thinking the wifi should reach there without issue.

Message 3 of 8
plemans
Guru

@leehop71 wrote:

Thanks for the reply.  Actually I have Ring devices and was coming across some issues that support suggestions did not solve.  I decided to do away with the combo since consensus was that separate modem was much more stable.

I sold the combo and upgraded to a CM7000 32/8 channels and a R6350.  The Ring devices are working flawless now.  My home is small 1556sq ft, but my router is at the front of the house where the Comcast cable is.

I'm waiting on Ring devices for the back of the house, thinking the wifi should reach there without issue.

I have a feeling you meant the CM1000 🙂 

I'm in the group that likes to have my modem/router devices seperate. If something goes wrong, its easier to replace one or upgrade a single device when its time. 

The r6350 is a solid device. Let us know if you have problems!

Message 4 of 8
leehop71
Aspirant

Actually it's a CM700, not 7000 Smiley Sad

While I've got your attention phlem, Ring folks stated that the Doorbell will only operate on the 2.4ghz and suggested I disable the 5ghz.  I disabled the 5ghz and the Ring products work great!

Won't disabling the 5ghz slow speed?

I named both networks with the same name, so I'm thinking I could probably enable the 5ghz and see what happens?

TIA,

Lee

Message 5 of 8
plemans
Guru

I'd enable the 5ghz but change the ssid to something different. The rings shouldn't even see the 5ghz if they're only 2.4ghz compatible but a seperate name might make it better for setup. 

Message 6 of 8
leehop71
Aspirant

Thanks my new friend!

I have small home 1556, modem and router in the front of the house because that's where the cable is, with a CM700 and the R6350 I should have enough juice to run security cam on the back of my house?

Message 7 of 8
plemans
Guru

Thats a loaded question. Potentially you do.  1556 square feet might be pushing the limits if you're router is on the one end and the cameras on the other. 2.4ghz travels through objects better compared to 5ghz but has lower bandwidth so it involves a lot of factors that could effect whether it works or not. Its always best to centrally locate the router because it should cover that if it was in the central. Router on one and and camera on the other....you'll have to try it and see. 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7