Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Upgrading local network delayed - local support issues with WIFI6 Products

ADHandforth
Aspirant

Upgrading local network delayed - local support issues with WIFI6 Products

I live in El Paso, TX where Spectrum is the most advanced in Internet Speed (400Mbps). The local Best Buy does a good job of supplying new equipment. However, Spectrum posted on the Internet for zip code 79936 (my zip code) updated on 11/27/2019 a 3 page listing of "Authorized Modems to Use on the Spectrum Network" Under the Recommended Modems of (up to 400Mbps, up to 300Mbps, up to 100Mbps, and up to 60Mbps) mine is not listed. In the last listing of Minimally Qualified Modems (while deemed safe for their network, have not been tested to delivered your purchased internet speed) is my Nighthack Multi-Gig Speed Cable Modem (CM1200) I purchased with the RAX40 Nighthack Router and A6210 Wireless Adaptor. I just wanted to alert you (those who do not live in the 25 or so big cities that you may have to wait at least till the middle of next year before you have a chance to try the new WIFI6 or even 5G NR.

Model: CM1200|Nighthawk Multi-Gig Speed Cable Modem, RAX40|Nighthawk AX4 4-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Upgrading local network delayed - local support issues with WIFI6 Products

FYI, WIFI 6 doesn't depend upon the ISP to support WiFi 6. Nor does the CM model series support WiFi 6  as it's just a modem only. No built in WiFi radios. The WiFi 6 support starts at your RAX wifi router that does support WiFi 6 and then find a client devices like a phone or pad or adapter that supports WiFi 6. Both a WiFi router and customer client devices have to support WiFi 6. 

@ADHandforth wrote:

I live in El Paso, TX where Spectrum is the most advanced in Internet Speed (400Mbps). The local Best Buy does a good job of supplying new equipment. However, Spectrum posted on the Internet for zip code 79936 (my zip code) updated on 11/27/2019 a 3 page listing of "Authorized Modems to Use on the Spectrum Network" Under the Recommended Modems of (up to 400Mbps, up to 300Mbps, up to 100Mbps, and up to 60Mbps) mine is not listed. In the last listing of Minimally Qualified Modems (while deemed safe for their network, have not been tested to delivered your purchased internet speed) is my Nighthack Multi-Gig Speed Cable Modem (CM1200) I purchased with the RAX40 Nighthack Router and A6210 Wireless Adaptor. I just wanted to alert you (those who do not live in the 25 or so big cities that you may have to wait at least till the middle of next year before you have a chance to try the new WIFI6 or even 5G NR.

Message 2 of 4
ADHandforth
Aspirant

I apreciate your response but you are leaving out the whole communications chain before and after the RAX wifi router, the Software/Firmware that encapcilates the data and existing IoT devices. I am an experimenter and researcher looking to see how I can speed up my IoT to fully utilize my AX Router and Gigi-bit Modem on a hopefully soon Gigi-bit ISP. Not everyone has the resouces to buy upgraded devices, I went that route with PCs and ran short of cash after some time. The point I am leading to is updating lagacy devices if possible - USB ports (2 to 3), Wireless Adaptors (N to AC) with software able to use the new communication speeds. This put me on a research project to document approximately 20 IoT I own (I am not talking about Smart Home Devices) to see what communications it uses (IEEE 802.11[2.4], a[3.7, 5], b[2.4], g[2.4], n[2.4, 5], ac[5], ax[2.4, 5] and GHz Band and Bluetooth Version (2,3, or 4 - not backwards compatible in all aspects). Right now even with the RAX router I would only gain on the 2.4GHz through put (Ihave a Linksys EA6100 router and N wireless adaptors and devices and 92Mbps service). --- Going the other way the Modem and ISP has to be able to handle high speed varible size data packets otherwise the RAX router and modem default to what I already have and the router gets bogged down in collisions slowing down any speed gained. BTW Did you know that the Cell Cariers already pipe your "Smart" part of your phone to the Internet if available - this will only increase with the fuller implementation of 5G NR/WIFI 6. ---- My intention here is to educate the Community.

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Well I have a Orbi RBK852 system connected to a CM1100 modem that is services with 1G/50Mbps. See no issues here with AX or AC or anyother wifi supporting devices. Including a ASUS GT-AX11000 running in bridge mode. All other IoT devices connect however they are most N mode supporting only devices. There are some legacy devices that may not be upgradable as well. 

Ya for usb you can upgrade PCs and some laptops. Then you need to get a AX supporting wifi adapter if you want to upgrade the wifi on a PC or Laptop. I have a D-Link DWA-192 that I used sometimes on my PC. That only supports AC at 1300Mpbs. I use use my R7800 in wireless bridge mode and on AC with 160Mhz enabled, it can connect at 1733Mpbs however thats only between the R7800 and the host router. LAN ports on the R7800 max at 1000Mpbs. So there is that. 

Over all, WiFi 6 doesn't effect ISP services or modems. Its only a wireless protocol for routers and wireless devices. I presume NG may come out with a modem gateway that supports AX on it's wireless radios. 

Good Luck. 

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7