Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: VPN Setup on Netgear Router - HELP

cllinusa
Tutor

VPN Setup on Netgear Router - HELP

I would like to setup a VPN connection through PIA on my Netgear router (Model listed as C7000-100NAS), but I think it's the same or a version of the AC1900 Netgear Nighthawk. All the documents I see, instruct you to go to onto the Netgear Genie console and enable the VPN connection under Advanced, Advanced Settings, VPN. I don't have a VPN option under advanced settings. I bought the router from Amazon, so not through ISP (which is TWC), but not sure if they can disable features or something. Very confused. Have anyone else come across this?

Model: C7000|Nighthawk - AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 17
MacVille
Initiate

I've the same problem,and the same problem of everyone else, this was my last time with negtgeat, Never Never again
Message 2 of 17
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello MacVille 

There is no VPN settings on the cable modem.

DarrenM

Message 3 of 17
Trickey
Aspirant

Ive got a D7000 or ac1900  and was looking for the vpn setup if you type http://www.routerlogin.net it will let you login and change to advance to setup vpn.

hope this helps

Message 4 of 17
PL660
Initiate

Can you expand on this reply please? I too am curious and Netgear claims the unit supports VPN.

Message 5 of 17
PL660
Initiate

@DarrenM wrote:

Hello MacVille 

There is no VPN settings on the cable modem.

DarrenM

You claim on your website:

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/29322/~/c7000-product-faqs

So, is it or not?

Message 6 of 17
cllinusa
Tutor

No VPN, even under advanced setup! 

netgear.JPG

Message 7 of 17
jeremyw
Initiate

As pointed out by another person here it says you do on your FAQ.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/29322/~/c7000-product-faqs

Why do I not have this option? I own a C7000-100NAS modem/router.

Message 8 of 17
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello everyone

VPN Passthrough is a feature of routers which allows computers on a private network to establish outbound VPNs unhindered. VPN passthrough has nothing to do with inbound VPNs, only outbound ones. The term comes from allowing the VPN traffic to “passthrough” the router. NO ports need opening to enable VPN passthrough, it will automatically work.

So the C7000 does not have specific settings to set up a VPN.

DarrenM

Message 9 of 17
Devilsbane
Tutor

Why is there no option? Is it just something that physically can't be done or was it just never set up? Just wondering if an update would ever come to allow this because it does seem to be a pretty commonly requested feature and it is available on the other netgear ac routers. Quite unfortunate it wouldn't be on this one too.

Message 10 of 17
cmduran78228
Tutor

ok, I'm way late to this conversation but I just connected this c7000 and was surprised that there is no VPN setup - so let me just be sure I have this straight before I send it back. The VPN I have installed in my PC will work ok, but if I want to use a VPN for my Amazon Fire TV, there's no way to do that because the router doesn't let you set up a VPN - is that correct?

Message 11 of 17
cllinusa
Tutor

Yes, you can setup a PC or more using VPN software on it, but you can't put your whole network on VPN because router doesn't do it. Considering this was a top rated (and expensive) router, it's unacceptable in my opinion
Message 12 of 17
cmduran78228
Tutor

thanks, I returned it yesterday and got an ASUS router and separate Arris modem. I made sure the router allowed VPN this time.

Message 13 of 17
Wballer
Aspirant

So in your opinon, your new setp up with ASUS router and ARRIS modem will work the internet provider you have? I have TWC/Spectrum. Not sure who you have.

Message 14 of 17
MacVille
Initiate

Sorry no more netgear and soon no more comcast
Message 15 of 17
cmduran78228
Tutor

Yes the Arris modem and ASUS router are working great.and their promise of "up to 100 MBPS" actually usually runs around 118. Spectrum is glad to work with your own equipment. I did have a little problem setting up the VPN (PIA) however. Couldn't get it to work at all with Asus native firmware so flashed the most recent version of Merlin. Problem with that was that Asus doesn't "officially" support, though they actually do have articles on installing Merlin on Asus Routers in their help forum and their Tech Guys did make an effort to help me, they just simply didn't have the knowledge to be able to do that and the articles are out of date so don't work with current versions of firmware / routers. But finally through much research and experimentation I found a configuration that worked and now my VPN works perfectly. I wrote up a tutorial for the Asus techies so they should be able to help other guys wanting to install a VPN with new routers and up-to-date firmware in the future.
Message 16 of 17
Wballer
Aspirant

Thank you.  That is way beyond my brain wave threshold.  But glad it worked for you.

🙂 

Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 19 kudos
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7