Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Very Frustrated with Speed of New Modem

Seeking2018
Tutor

Very Frustrated with Speed of New Modem

Comcast recently had an update to their internet speed.  With my old modem, the computer attached via ethernet was 125 mbps; the problem was my wifi computer was less than 10.  So I bought this router/ modem to increase the speed for my wifi in particular.  

I"m VERY frustrated because now my eithernet speed is 4.6 download and the wifi is equally poor.  I've spoken w/ Comcast and netgear with them making adjustments to my modem. Still very, very slow.  I'm about ready to  return this, but thought I'd check for ideas here first.  

Model: R6900|Nighthawk AC1900 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 9

Re: Very Frustrated with Speed of New Modem

The R6900 mentioned in your footer is a router. What modem are you using?

Message 2 of 9
Seeking2018
Tutor

c7100v  I believe is what it's called.

Message 3 of 9

The C7100V is a modem/router. While it doesn't explain the slow wifi, you now have two routers on your network. You need to stop them arguing among themselves over control of your network.

There is a manual for the C7100V somewhere at the end of this link:

>>>> C7100V | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<<

If you read page 107 of the manual you will see how to set up the modem router in bridge mode.

You should also read the Quick Start to help in setting up your network.

When you have sorted that out you may find it easier to restore sanity to your system.

Message 4 of 9
Seeking2018
Tutor

I have been reading the quick start.  I did find the users manual and I scrolled to page 107, I don't see a remote access under set up.  I'll keep messing around.  Again, not sure why the person I spoke with didn't set this up correctly.  For me, this is getting to be way too much of a hassle and will probably return it and go with something easier. 

Message 5 of 9

@Seeking2018 wrote:

...I scrolled to page 107, I don't see a remote access under set up.

Where did "remote access" come from?

Page 107 tells you how to turn off the modem's router operation so that your R6900 can work as your network's router.

Remote access is something completely different.

For me, this is getting to be way too much of a hassle and will probably return it and go with something easier. 

I don't know which bit you plan to return, the R6900 or the C7100V, but whatever you get to replace it will leave you with the same challenge for setting it up.

There is also support stuff for the R6900 at the end of this link:

>>> R6900 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<

It comes with its own Quick Start guide. You could turn the R6900 into an access point, but that is probably getting too complicated.

Message 6 of 9
Seeking2018
Tutor

That is so strange!!  I clicked on the link you supplied, I had to sign into netgear, when I did I found online manual, went to page 107, found about remote router.  So maybe I have a different box? I don't know.  I've been trying to call them and see if I can get help that way.  It makes sense what you say. 

Message 7 of 9

Page 107 in the document I mentioned has a section:

Set Up the Modem Router in Bridge Mode

AC1900 Cable Modem Voice Router Model C7100V User Manual - C7100V_UM_EN.pdf

You can find the Model Number for your device on the label. Something like this:

model number

It is probably on the bottom of the thing.

Message 8 of 9
Seeking2018
Tutor

I must have selected the wrong thing b/c what I have is  rectangular box w/o any antenas.  

I just spent 40 mins on the phone w/ tech support and it seems to be working now.  Thanks for trying to help me out!! 

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7