Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Very slow and losing wifi connection on 2.4 ghz. 5 ghz works fine and so does hard wired.

blissintampa
Aspirant

Very slow and losing wifi connection on 2.4 ghz. 5 ghz works fine and so does hard wired.

I had a power outage a bit over a week ago. After that I was having a hard time staying connected to the wifi. I thought something may have been damaged due to the power outage so I exchanged it for a brand new one. Was having the same issue. Then I thought it was my ISP. A technician came and replaced all connections in my home and ouside. Internet worked excellent for two days and stopped again. I decided to hardwire the nearest laptop. No issues with hardwire. I then decide to change what devices I could to connect to 5ghz. They all work excellent but not all my devices can connect to 5ghz. I spoke with netgear support and they had me change a few things, that didn't work. They had me do a hard reset, that didn't work. Now their option for me is to exchange this one. I was looking up what firmware I'm supposed to have for the model I have and my ISP. Well my ISP was Brighthouse but it was recently bought by Spectrum. I have version V1.01.13 but according to Netgear Spectrum is supposed to have V1.01.17. Now when I brought this up to a technician through my ISP he got very rude with me and told me that the manufaturer is the one who updates the firmware not them. But it clearly states You must contact your Internet service provider (ISP) to upgrade your firmware. I don't know if that would be causing the issue or not. Also I have not bought any new electronics that would interfere or moved anything. Only thing that happened was the power outage. Any ideas on what I could do?

Model: C6250|AC1600 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 3
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Very slow and losing wifi connection on 2.4 ghz. 5 ghz works fine and so does hard wired.

Hello blissintampa

With spectrum being multiple company coming together they are not on the same page for firmware in all areas that may be why yours is older. As for the wireless have you removed old networks wireless network settings saved in your devices? You mentioned getting a new unit your wireless devices could be trying to use some old wifi settings and its causing conflicts.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 3
blissintampa
Aspirant

Re: Very slow and losing wifi connection on 2.4 ghz. 5 ghz works fine and so does hard wired.

Thanks for responding. I have had all my devices that will allow to "forget" the old connection. The reason I got a new unit was because Best buy thought my power outage may have damaged something in the old unit. Up until the power outage it worked excellent. I have my tablets and sons Playstation 4 connected to 5ghz and they are not having any issues staying online. I had to end up buying a 50 ft ethernet cord to get internet on my desktop. I was told by Netgear that there is signal interference on 2.4ghz. That it is caused by too much network traffic (I live in Tampa, FL with lots of neighbors). Now their option for me is to either buy a new modem and router seperate or bridge the one I have and buy another router. I would just return this one but the original one I bought is over 90 days old and the one I have now is from a warranty I purchased separately. I don't want to spend a ton of money on modems and routers. I just want one that stays working lol. There aren't many options Spectrum gives you on modems/routers you can use. The reason I purchased my own is because I was renting one of theirs and it would disconnect like 50 times a day and said there was nothing wrong with it or my lines.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7