Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WNR2000v4 Computer constantly connected to modem.

katinmo3
Aspirant

WNR2000v4 Computer constantly connected to modem.

I am unable to turn off my internet connection on my computer.  Due to limited satellite data, we want to turn it off to save data.  When I click the internet access to turn off, it only turns off the wirelesss connection and we are still able to get online.  We use to be able to turn it completely off and in the lower bar a yellow "sun" shape would appear.  Now the icon is a monitor with a pitch fork.  Any suggestions?   Thank you.

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
TheEther
Guru

Re: WNR2000v4 Computer constantly connected to modem.

You can always unplug the Ethernet cable from your computer.  🙂

If you want to shut it off in Windows, start by right-clicking on the pitch fork icon and click on Open the Network and Sharing Center.  You will see something like this: 

Click on Change adapter settings on the left.  You will see something like this:

Click on the icon that looks like the one labeled Ethernet in this picture.  Your icon may have a different name.  If you have more than one icon that looks the same, click on the one without the red X.  Once you click on the icon, the option Disable this network device should appear.  Click on that.  Verify that Internet access has been disabled.

You can enable Ethernet by repeating this process.  You will click on the same icon (except that it will show a red X) and then click on the option Enable this network device.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
TheEther
Guru

The pitch fork icon indciates a wired, Ethernet connection.  You can disable your Ethernet interface to shut it off.

Message 2 of 5
katinmo3
Aspirant

Thanks, and how do i do that? 🤤
I apologize. I'm not tech savvy.
Message 3 of 5
TheEther
Guru

You can always unplug the Ethernet cable from your computer.  🙂

If you want to shut it off in Windows, start by right-clicking on the pitch fork icon and click on Open the Network and Sharing Center.  You will see something like this: 

Click on Change adapter settings on the left.  You will see something like this:

Click on the icon that looks like the one labeled Ethernet in this picture.  Your icon may have a different name.  If you have more than one icon that looks the same, click on the one without the red X.  Once you click on the icon, the option Disable this network device should appear.  Click on that.  Verify that Internet access has been disabled.

You can enable Ethernet by repeating this process.  You will click on the same icon (except that it will show a red X) and then click on the option Enable this network device.

Message 4 of 5
katinmo3
Aspirant

That did it! Thanks so much! 😊
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7