Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: We have the modem router combo C3700. Can I run a second router in my new office?

dyldylsmom
Aspirant

We have the modem router combo C3700. Can I run a second router in my new office?

We have the C3700 modem and router combo.  We just built me an office in the garage and had a cable line put in there today.  The internet runs through that cable line.  Can I add a second router in the office or will I have to get a range extender if I want better signal in there?

Model: C3700|N600 Cable Gateway Docsis 3.0
Message 1 of 7
TheEther
Guru

Re: We have the modem router combo C3700. Can I run a second router in my new office?

You may be able to put a second modem router there but it will have to be provisioned as a second line of service, which probably won't be economical.

Message 2 of 7
dyldylsmom
Aspirant

I just wanted to put a second that is just a router.  Is that not possible?

Message 3 of 7
dyldylsmom
Aspirant

I think I had a brain fart.  I see what you are saying now and what I was saying did not make sense as the router does not plug into the cable.  I need sleep I think.  I think I will do a range extender.  There is a signal in there I just wanted to boost it as I tested it and was not pulling the higher speed.  Would an extender help that?

Message 4 of 7
TheEther
Guru

It might help. You would put it somewhere between the router and the garage, so that it can pull in a reasonable signal. Range extenders can suffer a pretty steep speed penalty when relaying all traffic through Wi-Fi. You can eliminate this penalty by running Ethernet from the router to the extender.
Message 5 of 7
dyldylsmom
Aspirant

Ok thanks!  I would move the moden and router but the Tivo box is in there unless I possibly move the main Tivo and modem and router.  I work from home so I want me speed to be up to par for downloading dictations as I am a medical transcriptionist.

Message 6 of 7
TheEther
Guru

Downloading dictations doesn't sound like a high bandwidth activity, so you may be able to get by with a range extender.  Another option is to use Powerline to extend the network into the garage.  There are models with just Ethernet and ones that also provide Wi-Fi.  Powerline speeds are heavily dependent on the quality of your A/C wires.  Some people get great performance out of it, while others don't.  It can be a crapshoot.

If high-speed Internet is a priority for your garage, you may want consider moving the modem/router.  The Tivo needs Internet access for downloading programming listings and on-demand content.  If you don't watch on-demand content, the bandwidth requirements for program listings should be modest.  You could use a range extender or Powerline adapter to extend the network from the garage to the Tivo.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7