Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Weekly reboot for AC1900 (model C7100V) with Xfinity

socherl
Tutor

Weekly reboot for AC1900 (model C7100V) with Xfinity

I have an AC1900 (model C7100V) that I use with Comcast Xfinity up at a rental property.  On occassion the router goes down (sometimes triggered by power surges) and does not come back up (without rebooting).  Any chance you could extend the applications to have the gateway optionally:

1. Reboot once a week (or day) at specific time

2. Reboot if it has lost DOCSIS/Internet connectivity for more than x (mins/hours)

If so, would appreciate you also working with Comcast to push down updated microcode.

Model: C7100V|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

Re: Weekly reboot for AC1900 (model C7100V) with Xfinity

post here for suggestions:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Idea-Exchange-For-Home/idb-p/idea-exchange-for-home

if its dying because of power surges/failures, I'd highly recommend a ups (backup power supply) for it. I've had 1 router ruined by a power surge and trust me, loosing a $400 router when I could have had a $50 UPS was a poor choice on my part. Now all my expensive electronics have one. 

Message 2 of 4
socherl
Tutor

Thanks for response.  I did consider a UPS but the issue is often the Nighthawk getting not being able to reestablish DOCSIS/Internet connection with Comcast after an outage and gets in state where it needs to be rebooted -- often multiple times before they sync back up.  Think the CMTS often goes down as well with power surge.  I did look at the ezOutlet (https://www.amazon.com/ezOutlet2-Internet-Enabled-Android-Controllable/dp/B0792S1DGZ/ref=sr_1_4?dchi...) as an option but they seem a little flaky and always like to avoid adding additional devices (points of failure).  Was hoping the modem/gateway itself could reboot after an extended period (ideally configurable) of lost Internet connection. 

Model: C7100V|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

Again, that'd be something to recommend on the ideas exchange. 

something you could do would be a ups with a smart plug that you could schedule daily/weekly reboots. 

I'd still recommend the ups if your power is dying that much. The C7100V isn't a cheap device to replace if your power is dying that much. It only takes 1 good surge to wreck electronics. 

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7