Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Where is bridge mode? C6300 model

iCThruU18
Aspirant

Where is bridge mode? C6300 model

All the instructions that take me to advanced setup to turn on bridge mode Don't seem to apply to this router's settings. I cannot find bridge mode. I have a mesh system which requires me to turn on the bridge mode but can't seem to do it. Any suggestions?
Message 1 of 15

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Where is bridge mode? C6300 model

For the most part, double nat's don't cause much for issues. But there's the rare device that does have issues with them. Or people have networked devices can can't access them on both because they're on the 2 different networks.

So if its working fine in a double nat and you don't have issues, then I wouldn't worry about it. 

But if you're having issues, then fixing it is one of the first steps. 

View solution in original post

Message 15 of 15

All Replies

@iCThruU18 wrote:
All the instructions that take me to advanced setup to turn on bridge mode

Bridge mode to do what?

That term means different things in different contexts and on different devices. Here's a couple of options

• modem only mode – applies to a modem/router that you want to use as just a modem
  • bridge mode to "connect multiple devices wirelessly" – applies only to routers that support this feature

In the case of the C6300 you can forget about the WiFi bridge.

For modem only bridge mode, start here:

How do I set my NETGEAR cable modem router to function as a modem only? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

If, that is, your device supports it.

Message 2 of 15
iCThruU18
Aspirant

I hooked up a mesh system and it says I must put modem router in bridge mode. I saw somewhere that I should go to administration and turn off router mode. This is the same thing as bridge mode. Okay so I did that. Now I can't get back into the router control panel because it's been turned off! How will I ever go in and do anything to the router now that it won't talk to me? And why did I need to put this in bridge mode to use a mesh system? It seemed to be working just fine before I turned off the router mode putting it in bridge mode. They said there could be a conflict but I didn't see one. What do I do now? By the way the mesh system is working just fine...
Message 3 of 15

@iCThruU18 wrote:
Now I can't get back into the router control panel because it's been turned off! How will I ever go in and do anything to the router now that it won't talk to me?

You won't need to get into the router unless things go wrong. There's nothing to control. Unlike my DSL modem/router, you can't even update the firmware on your cable modem/router. ISPs don't allow it.

To get into the thing, disconnect it from the network and plug it into a PC.

And why did I need to put this in bridge mode to use a mesh system? It seemed to be working just fine before I turned off the router mode putting it in bridge mode.

Two routers on your network can cause headaches. For example, you can end up with local address problems. Among other things, the other router can misdirect addresses that the Netgear router usually handles, such as routerlogin.net or the usual IP address for a router, 192.168.1.1.

This explains some of the other drawbacks.

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

When to put modem into bridge mode | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 4 of 15
plemans
Guru

if you disabled the router features on the c6300, you'd need to navigate to 192.168.100.1 to access it. 

Message 5 of 15
iCThruU18
Aspirant

I'm completely rather notice off how do I get in? I am hooked up to the mesh Wi-Fi which is hooked to the modem router by ethernet. When I put in the IP address above it just hangs. I actually called Netgear and they told me I have to reset The whole unit back to factory specs to be able to access it. I'd love to get in without doing that.
Message 6 of 15

@iCThruU18 wrote:
I'm completely rather notice off how do I get in?

You lost me there.

When I put in the IP address above it just hangs.

My experience with trying to access a modem/router in modem only (bridge) mode is that it doesn't work as explained in the manuals. Admittedly, I am using a DM200 DSL device, but the approach seems to be the same, just with a different address.

I actually called Netgear and they told me I have to reset The whole unit back to factory specs to be able to access it. I'd love to get in without doing that.

Yes, and by resetting everything, you will get access to the modem/router but then get lost with the Mesh network.

Go back to basics. ask yourself what you can do when you access the C6300 after you have put it into bridge mode.

There is nothing to manage. The router is in charge.

If you do want to play around, disconnect everything from the C6300. Connect a PC to its output and try the address you have been advised to use.

In this way, you do not need to reset everything just to play around.

If you want to investigate all this, try reading one of the manuals for a modem only box, like the CM700. Read the section "Log In to the Cable Modem".

As it says there

"After you set up the cable modem, you do not need to log in to the cable modem for normal operation."

Message 7 of 15
iCThruU18
Aspirant

In the end you're right. The only thing I really do in the modem is change passwords or things like that.. And with the mesh system, that's where I set the password so I guess I'll just leave it. Just makes me nervous not to have access...

Thank you for your thoughtful replies.

Message 8 of 15

@iCThruU18 wrote:
The only thing I really do in the modem is change passwords or things like that.. And with the mesh system, that's where I set the password so I guess I'll just leave it.

You've got it. There's nothing sensitive you can handle on the modem, just login password.

If you can't get in there, there isn't much chance that evil invaders will break in.

You are discovering why experienced users prefer separate modems and routers. The modem is just a dumb box. All the hard stuff happens in the router. And you get massively bigger choice if you go for stand-alone routers. There may be the occasional modem/router with some bells and whistles, but for things like gaming routers, for example, forget it.

ISPs love to supply modem/routers. Many try to keep modem only things of their networks. That is their idea of an easy life, although given their usual technical incompetence it often means grief for customers.

Message 9 of 15
iCThruU18
Aspirant

I am still pretty surprised that the setup for the Google mesh system said nothing about putting the modem router in bridge mode. They made it seem like everyone has a modem only. I'm guessing that is rare on the consumer level.
Message 10 of 15

@iCThruU18 wrote:
I am still pretty surprised that the setup for the Google mesh system said nothing about putting the modem router in bridge mode. They made it seem like everyone has a modem only. I'm guessing that is rare on the consumer level.

Your earlier messages say nothing as to why you decided to use bridge mode.

The only clue is where you wrote:

I hooked up a mesh system and it says I must put modem router in bridge mode.

We have no idea what "it" was.

A new router, Mesh or otherwise, can sometimes detect that you are trying to install it behind another router. It will then adapt is own settings accordingly.

For example, Netgear's routers like to use 192.168.1.1 as the default IP address for the local network. (Looks like Google may use the same address.) If a router sees something already there, it can set the local IP address as 10.0.0.1

This can work fine ... until you do something that doesn't work.

Message 11 of 15
iCThruU18
Aspirant

"it" refers to the internet... Meaning the Google search results.. The Google mesh device did not do anything with the setup automatically. I ended up with two working networks, the original from my modem router and the new mesh network. I would have been happy to leave both because they seem to be working But these internet sites said I would have problems... Slower speeds, Nat conflicts whatever that is etc.
Message 12 of 15

@iCThruU18 wrote:
"it" refers to the internet... Meaning the Google search results..

Often more trouble than it is worth.

That's why medics advise against use Google to diagnose ailments.

Message 13 of 15
iCThruU18
Aspirant

So the double NAT issue and loss of network strength is not a practical concern and I went through all this for nothing? And basically could have had two networks?

As a "medic" I find Dr Google extremely helpful.. But for civilians, it can be dangerous.

Message 14 of 15
plemans
Guru

For the most part, double nat's don't cause much for issues. But there's the rare device that does have issues with them. Or people have networked devices can can't access them on both because they're on the 2 different networks.

So if its working fine in a double nat and you don't have issues, then I wouldn't worry about it. 

But if you're having issues, then fixing it is one of the first steps. 

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7