Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Why is it so hard to update Nighthawk C7000V2 firmware and app misdirection?

ABCruz
Follower

Why is it so hard to update Nighthawk C7000V2 firmware and app misdirection?

I have the NIghthawk C7000V2 wifi cable modem router.

Firmware is: v1.02.09.

My ISP is Spectrum.

I downloaded the Android app - Netgear Nighthawk App.

As soon as it logs into my router, it says that my 'firmware is out of date.'

It then logs me into my router's routerlogin portal... and just stays there.

NO firmware update available.

Just routine access to my router.

Yes, I know that 'I have to contact my ISP (Spectrum, here in SA, TX) for firmware updates' and Yes, they say that they don't do that except for their own routers.

I can't update my own hardware,

I can't use the Nighthawk Android App to update my own hardware (because it says I need a firmware update),

I can't use my ISP for updating my own hardware (and Xfinity, Spectrum and Cox are shown on the router's packaging) because they say that they don't do that.

Can anyone (community or Netgear) please provide a way to update the firmware for this great router?

Seems that the answers seem to go in confusing and frustrating circles.

I have had NO hardware issues with my router.

Has been working perfectly since day-one... however, I would really like to get the firmware upto standards.

Lots of finger pointing (Netgear says to contact ISP, ISP says to contact Netgear) but no one seems to offer any form of a solution.

Please help, if you have any advice, suggestions or updates to this frustrating situation!

Model: C7000|Nighthawk - AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 14
plemans
Guru

Re: Why is it so hard to update Nighthawk C7000V2 firmware and app misdirection?

There isn't a good solution. 

netgear can't update the firmware directly. Its part of the docsis 3.0/3.1 standard for the isp to control the firmware running the modem. And they're (modem and router)  integrated on the C7000.

this has been an issue for a long time. And its usually why we recommend people buy a seperate modem from their router. 

the newer CAX80 seperates out the modem side from the router side so you can update the firmware on the router side but the modem side is still controlled by the isp. 

The reason the app keeps telling you that its not up to date is there is newer firmware but it isn't certified by the isp so it doesn't get pushed to the device by the ISP. 

Options?

1. ignore the warning. 

2. upgrade to a seperate modem and router

3. upgrade to something like the CAX80 that has seperated out the functions within a single device. 

Even if you put the C7000 on a different ISP that updated the firmware, when you went back to spectrum, when they provision it, it'd have the older firmware. 

Message 2 of 14
dwilson6936
Guide

Re: Why is it so hard to update Nighthawk C7000V2 firmware and app misdirection?

I HAVE THE EXAACT SAME PROBLEM WITH MY 6300 V2!!!!!!!!!

Same story. Neither Sprectrum or Netgear  will fix it. Nice tech lady told me to Google my version with the words FIX,DOWNLOAD ECT and it brought me here. Diid you EVER FIND A FIX??? Why would NETEAR EVER TAKE THE ABILTILY AWAY FROM THE CUSTOMER WHO BOUGHT THIER PRODUCTS TO UPDATE THEM?????? APPLE would laugh thier faces off !!!!! hahahahahaha

Seriuosly... If you found a fix let me know. Mike at dwilson6936@gmail.com

Message 3 of 14
plemans
Guru

@dwilson6936 Apple would be in the same boat. Its part of the docsis spec. The modem side is controlled by the isp. The older modem/router combo devices are all this way. And not just from netgear. Its an industry wide spec/issue.

There is some light on the horizon for a different way of doing things. The newest device the CAX80 actual does have the modem and router firmwares seperate so you can update the router side. But you still can't update the modem side. 

If it bothers you that much, sell the combo device and invest in a modem seperate from a router. Then you control the firmware and not the isp. We usually recommend people buy them seperate for this reason. As well as the fact that if one aspect of a combo device goes bad, the whole thing is bad. 

Message 4 of 14
dwilson6936
Guide

I understand the tech behind it but there was no reaon to take the update away from the customer. Tahts just DUMB. I have used router modems combos and NEVER hada problem with them withe exception of lightning. But i could ALWAY UPDATE THEM whenever i want. Thanks for you input. 

Model: A7000|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi USB Adapter - USB 3.0
Message 5 of 14
GHTYDFER
Aspirant

I am having the same problem a run around from both netgear and my ISP if you have figured it out j would love to know. When I tell you our situations are exactly the same I mean im so frustrated with both.
Message 6 of 14
dwilson6936
Guide

Yes. You were so right. You would think a company that was this big and this Global would fix something so simple as an update or at least give the customer the ability to update their own router since they won’t do it and I SP can’t do it. I even wrote a letter to corporate and of course they never even bothered to respond. Maybe they’ll read this and get it together one day.
Model: C7000|Nighthawk - AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 7 of 14
dwilson6936
Guide

The ISP provider told me to wait a month or two and then try to do it again. Maybe it would be approved by then. I haven’t tried it yet but I’m going to try this week. I was able to get my Netgear extender connected to the router though manually so I can have Wi-Fi in my shop. We did find out that there was a problem with the cable line but that was not why the update would not work because we tried to update it after the cable line was replaced and it still did the same thing. But that was about a month or two ago.
Message 8 of 14
plemans
Guru

You guys don't understand. 
It isn't a "router". its a modem router combo device. It has integrated modem functions which the ISP's control. Its part of the docsis spec. Its not something that netgear can ignore and still expect ISP's to support their devices. 

You can fully update simple routers or even dsl modem/routers. Just not CABLE modem/routers

You can even now upgrade the CAX80 "router" portion but not the modem as the isp controls that. But it took a significant increase in cpu performance and partitioning to be able to seperate the modem from the router but still keep them integrated. So if you want to "update my router" then either sell your device and buy a modem seperate from the router or buy the cax80. 

But complaining because of something netgear doesn't have control of or because you didn't understand what you were getting into when you purchased, doesn't help and isn't going to change things. 

Message 9 of 14
dwilson6936
Guide

You see my friend ,that’s the whole point Netgear DID have control over it and so did the customer for years. My router/modem combo is at least three years old and I’ve updated it several times and never had a problem with it until Netgear took that feature away from the customer. Hence all the negative complaining from the customer because they’re not happy about it. 👎🏻I advise people to buy a different brand because I have been very disappointed in not only Netgear Customer Service which is all (overseas by the way )and the fact that I can’t control my router modem combo anymore.
Message 10 of 14
rnashwenter
Initiate

I will not bother with renduntant statements around Spectrum not pushing the firmware update, by really believe if Netgear is to advertise the Nighthawk app compatibility that they should have engineered this device aligning with said advertising. Simple solution for me - Netgear is getting in back.

Message 11 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Good Luck.

Message 12 of 14
CrystalsRaegten
Initiate

From what I understand (and I'm not a networking systems guru), the manufacturer is not the issue, so switching to a different company won't help.  *All* manufacturers adhering to the "docsis 3.0" cable modem/router standard operate firmware updates the same way.  The ISP controls the disseminationn of the updates and work directly with the manufacturer to achieve the appropriate update.  The most the user/owner of the modem can do may be click "update" to the current dissemenated version.  Once done, you don't even get the that option and it's all automatic and controlled by the ISP.

I've having the same issue, btw.  Comcast/Xfinity is claiming they don't have control of firmware updates and recommending that I rent their modem/router. 

Message 13 of 14
olympos1625
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @CrystalsRaegten,

Thank you for reaching out. We are sorry to hear about your experience with the modem. We would recommend you ask for the modem department or escalation from your ISP or internet provider. Only ISPs can update the firmware of the cable modem connected to their system and this is true for all manufacturers not just Netgear.

Please do not hesitate to let me know if you need further assistance. 

Regards,

Oliver

Community Team

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 21 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7