Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Xbox one X will connect via wif but not with an Ethernet

xMichelangelox
Aspirant

Xbox one X will connect via wif but not with an Ethernet

I have tried all the basic things and cannot resolve the issue. Someone please help ASAP. This has to be a setting issue. ive tried two diffrent ethernets and they both have the same problem. ive put my cable modem into upnp, dmz , and ive tried port forwarding and nothing.(not at the same time). My pc is connected with an ethernet and it has no problems.Ill upload images of what i get.unnamed.jpgThis message will pop up and the go away. 

And on occasion this will pop up.unnamed (1).jpg

Model: C7000|Nighthawk - AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 16
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Have you tried to reserve the Ip address of the xbox?

https://kb.netgear.com/25722/How-do-I-reserve-an-IP-address-on-my-NETGEAR-router

DarrenM

Message 2 of 16
xMichelangelox
Aspirant

i tried through the xbox but dont know how to do set it up on the router

Model: C3700|N600 Cable Gateway Docsis 3.0,C7000|Nighthawk - AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 3 of 16
xMichelangelox
Aspirant

Did this did not work

Message 4 of 16
Nodism1125
NETGEAR Expert

Please follow the steps below. 

Start on Xbox One's Dashboard.
Navigate to Settings > All Settings.
From there, choose Network > Network Settings > Advanced settings.

IP: 192.168.0.100
SM: 255.255.255.0
DG: 192.168.0.1

DNS1: 8.8.8.8
DNS2: 8.8.4.4

In the same menu, select IP Settings > Manual. You will be prompted to enter an IP Address, Subnet mask and Gateway. Please use the details you wrote down earlier to populate the fields.

Then, go back to the Advanced Settings screen and select DNS Settings. Enter Primary and Secondary DNS Address from your notes.

Back on the Advanced Settings screen, please press Save. You have now set a static IP address for your Xbox One.

Message 5 of 16
xMichelangelox
Aspirant

this did not work will show wired for brief second but will not consistantly connect for more than 4 seconds 

Message 6 of 16
Nodism1125
NETGEAR Expert

Kindly enable the UPNP in the gateway router. 

Select ADVANCED > Advanced Setup > UPnP.

Restart the console and gateway router

Retest again. 

Message 7 of 16
cravenethan
Tutor

Can anyone tell me if there has been a fix for this issue?  I am currently in the same boat here.  I have been on the phone with my ISP, Microsoft, and Netgear and I have not been succesful in having anyone answer this issue correctly.  I am now on my second xbox becuase of this and it is still happening with the new one. Have the above troubleshooting steps fixed anything?

Message 8 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

What NG product do you have? Router? Modem? Please be more specific. 

@cravenethan wrote:

Can anyone tell me if there has been a fix for this issue?  I am currently in the same boat here.  I have been on the phone with my ISP, Microsoft, and Netgear and I have not been succesful in having anyone answer this issue correctly.  I am now on my second xbox becuase of this and it is still happening with the new one. Have the above troubleshooting steps fixed anything?

Message 9 of 16
cravenethan
Tutor

Hello FURRYe38!

I am surprised to see this issue gain any traction so quickly in this forum. I'll explain my details as it is very similar to the experience above. I will list all my equipment specs and pertinent information below.

I have a C7000v2 Nighthawk - AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router.

Brand new (and second) Xbox One X

Comcast is my ISP

CAT6 Cable running from Modem to Xbox one X

A little backstory to this issue.  I previously had an original Xbox One connected to the hardline directly into the router/modem and there were no issues.  I recently upgraded to the Xbox One X and connected the same cable that was previously working fine on the Xbox One to the new Xbox One X and the XB1X cannot make a connecting with the hardwire.  If I disconnect the Ethernet Cable from the Xbox One X it will make a successful connection via wireless. 

When I reconnect the CAT 6 cable to the Xbox One X it looks like it tries to make some type of connection about every 20-30 seconds and assigns it an IP Address in the Xbox menu but then drops the connecting again.  It will continue to do this indefinitely if left alone.

Troubleshooting steps that have already been tried. 

- Different port connection on the modem.

- Connected Cable to Desktop computer and it makes a successful connection.

- UPnP is on

- Attempted clearing Alternate MAC Address on the Xbox One X

- Factory reset modem and reopened Xbox One X Ports as per Microsoft

- Verified most up to date firmware on the unit which is updated by my ISP

- On the second Xbox now as the previous one had the same issue.

I will attach some screenshots if needed but this is basically the issue I'm coming up against. I don't know at this point if there is some compatibility issue with the modem and the Xbox one x or what might be going on but I don't even see the Xbox listed as an "attached device" in the router's settings so it is clearly not making a connection.

Hope this explanation helps some.

Message 10 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Disable "Instant ON" on the xbox one....

So do you have two xboxes now or just one? 

@cravenethan wrote:

Hello FURRYe38!

I am surprised to see this issue gain any traction so quickly in this forum. I'll explain my details as it is very similar to the experience above. I will list all my equipment specs and pertinent information below.

I have a C7000v2 Nighthawk - AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router.

Brand new (and second) Xbox One X

Comcast is my ISP

CAT6 Cable running from Modem to Xbox one X

A little backstory to this issue.  I previously had an original Xbox One connected to the hardline directly into the router/modem and there were no issues.  I recently upgraded to the Xbox One X and connected the same cable that was previously working fine on the Xbox One to the new Xbox One X and the XB1X cannot make a connecting with the hardwire.  If I disconnect the Ethernet Cable from the Xbox One X it will make a successful connection via wireless. 

When I reconnect the CAT 6 cable to the Xbox One X it looks like it tries to make some type of connection about every 20-30 seconds and assigns it an IP Address in the Xbox menu but then drops the connecting again.  It will continue to do this indefinitely if left alone.

Troubleshooting steps that have already been tried. 

- Different port connection on the modem.

- Connected Cable to Desktop computer and it makes a successful connection.

- UPnP is on

- Attempted clearing Alternate MAC Address on the Xbox One X

- Factory reset modem and reopened Xbox One X Ports as per Microsoft

- Verified most up to date firmware on the unit which is updated by my ISP

- On the second Xbox now as the previous one had the same issue.

I will attach some screenshots if needed but this is basically the issue I'm coming up against. I don't know at this point if there is some compatibility issue with the modem and the Xbox one x or what might be going on but I don't even see the Xbox listed as an "attached device" in the router's settings so it is clearly not making a connection.

Hope this explanation helps some.

Message 11 of 16
cravenethan
Tutor

I will attempt this when I am home and hopefully this will resolve the issue.

I only have one Xbox now. 

Message 12 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

OK, let us know. 

@cravenethan wrote:

I will attempt this when I am home and hopefully this will resolve the issue.

I only have one Xbox now. 

Message 13 of 16
cravenethan
Tutor

Hello Again,
I have removed my Xbox One X from “instant on” and changed it to “energy-saving” mode. Reset the Xbox to make sure this setting was applied on startup and plugged in the cable. This has unfortunately not resolved the issue and the same error continues when plugging in the Ethernet cable.

Hope something else might help?

Thanks
Message 14 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

So the xbox the only device that is not working on LAN connection? Kind of sounds like this maybe a LAN port issue with the Xbox. You've tried different ports on the modem right? Swapped in known working LAN cables between. 

Do you have a spare router or prior router handy that you can just turn on and connect the xbox too to see if it gets any IP address from this router? This router doesn't have to be connected to the modem. Just need to see if the xbox gets an IP address from a different router if possible. 

@cravenethan wrote:
Hello Again,
I have removed my Xbox One X from “instant on” and changed it to “energy-saving” mode. Reset the Xbox to make sure this setting was applied on startup and plugged in the cable. This has unfortunately not resolved the issue and the same error continues when plugging in the Ethernet cable.

Hope something else might help?

Thanks

Message 15 of 16
cravenethan
Tutor

Hi,
I don’t have an old router on hand to test but I did the next best thing to troubleshoot. A friend of mine brought over his Xbox one x to test the connectivity. A few notes:

- his Xbox one x is always connected at his house via Ethernet cable direct to modem and it works no problem. I.e. confirmed port works.

Attempted this connecting and the Xbox one x does the exact same thing as mine. This is the third Xbox one x that has had an attempted connection to this router and it will not work. Verified not a port issue.
Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7