Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Xfinity Modem Formware Update CM1150V

VacuousD
Follower

Xfinity Modem Formware Update CM1150V

Am considering buying a CM1150V directly from Netgear on the presumption that it will come pre-loaded with the latest firmware version.  Intent is to use it in my home with my Comcast/Xfinity gigabit service and stop renting a modem from Xfinity.

Netgear page says the latest firmware version approved for use by Xfinity is v2.02.04.  What version would come with a unit bought directly from Netgear?  If it was more up-to-date than v2.02.04, would Comcast overwrite it with their preferred earlier version?

Have been reading extensive forum posts about how it is impossible to upgrade firmware directly from Netgear's website, which clearly states that updates must be pushed from ISPs.

Have also been reading forum posts about Comcast users' terrible experiences getting Xfinity to push proper firmware updates to this model modem (presumably, only modems rented from Comcast) and Comcast's supposed refusal to update firmware in customer-owned modems at all.  Other posts have claimed Comcast reps are stating that they don't update anybody's modem - ever - regardless of who owns them.

If true, and I buy a unit directly from Netgear, it looks as though I'd be stuck forever with whatever firmware version came with the unit, or I'd be at the mercy of whatever version Xfinity chose to push to me, which theoretically could could be older than whatever Netgear had developed.

Any truth or developments here?

Model: CM1150V|DOCSIS 3.1 Nighthawk® Multi-Gig Speed Cable Modem for XFINITY® Voice
Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Xfinity Modem Formware Update CM1150V

When your ISP provisions the device, it includes firmware/provisioning. so they're firmware would overwrite whatever is on the device. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Re: Xfinity Modem Formware Update CM1150V

When your ISP provisions the device, it includes firmware/provisioning. so they're firmware would overwrite whatever is on the device. 

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7