Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Xfinity disables 2.4Ghz on CAX30

Fortuona
Aspirant

Xfinity disables 2.4Ghz on CAX30

My CAX30 will broadcast on 2.4GHz and 5GHz up until the moment I activate it with Comcast Xfinity, at which point I only have access to the 5GHz band.  Admin controls say it is still working but none of my devices see it.  I've been through all the resets, firmware updates and backdates, channel changes, etc.  that have been posted and suggested by Netgear support.  Comcast clearly doesn't want me using my 2.4GHz only devices including my smoke alarm.
Does anyone have any theories regarding a work around? (Unfortunately, leaving Comcast is not an option in my area).  Thanks.

Message 1 of 15
plemans
Guru

Re: Xfinity disables 2.4Ghz on CAX30

are you using smart connect? 

Have you done a wireless scan using something other than windows? 

Message 2 of 15
Fortuona
Aspirant

I am not using smart connect.  And I haven't done a wireless scan using something other than windows on the computers (I'm afraind I don't know how), but the android devices, the printer, and the smoke alarm don't see it either. 

Thanks for thinking about it.

Message 3 of 15
plemans
Guru

You can try doing a scan using inssider or any of the general wifi scanners that can be downloaded. there's quite a few of them. I use inssider or winfi

Message 4 of 15
Fortuona
Aspirant

Thank you for this.  With Winfi Lite, I do see the 2.4 GHz band is present.  Though, I'm not sure how to apply this good news to getting my printer and smoke alarm to see it now the we know that it is actually there.

Do they have a Winfi equilivalent for old HP printers and Nest smoke alarms? (she asks optimistically)

Message 5 of 15
plemans
Guru

Is you ssid broadcast disabled in the router? 

Message 6 of 15
Fortuona
Aspirant

No, both bands are broadcasting.  When I disable broadcasting the 5Ghz, it shuts off just as expected and I have to go dig out the ethernet cable, but not suprisingly, has no effect on the other band.  Toggling the 2.4 GHz SSID broadcast has no effect.

Message 7 of 15
bookishtexas
Aspirant

I am having similar issue. The 2.4 shows option to connect but most 2.4 devices are unable to comunicate with the router/modem. I have suddenlink as provider.

Message 8 of 15
Fortuona
Aspirant

What I've ended up doing as a temporary solution is activating an old 2.4Ghz only Netgear C3000 modem/router with xfinity (despite all their warnings not to) and setting up the network as I want the new 2.4GHz network to look.  I connected all my older devices to this network and while leaving the router portion running transfered the service to the CAX30.  Then I set up the 5 GHz band and made sure everything there was working before changing the 2.4GHZ band on the CAX30 to match the C3000.  This made everything angry but when I shutdown the C3000 all the devices jumped to the CAX30. 

Of course doing this meant I that I couldn't properly activate the CAX30 through Xfinity and I had to call them in order for them to do it manually.

It may work in a pinch, but this is an unreasonable process for every power outage.  On top of having Xfinity I also have PG&E.

Message 9 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

I'd make contact with NG support on this and let them know what your experiencing...

Message 10 of 15
Fortuona
Aspirant

I have.  The person I spoke to went through the basics, then refered me to higher ups who would call "soon".  That was a few days ago.  I'm not sure what kind of "soon" to expect, so I thought I check with you very smart folks to see if anyone had any ideas. 

I appreciate the help getting it limping along.

Message 11 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

I would keep in touch with support. You'll need to use that 2ndary wifi AP for now until this is resolved. 

Message 12 of 15
Fortuona
Aspirant

Thanks.  I'll update with a solution is we get to one.  I appreciate everyone's effort.

Message 13 of 15
Jonastrance
Aspirant

Did you ever get a resolution? I'm having this same trouble and it's driving me insane trying to figure it out.
Message 14 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

@Fortuona Any updates or progress on this? 

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7