Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

back and forth with netgear and isp. who is to blame

richworldinc
Initiate

back and forth with netgear and isp. who is to blame

for a week now i have been going back and forth with my isp and netgear. each saying that the other is to blame.

i get disconnected just about everyday (often more than once).

from what i have been told by netgear and read from previous forums, this is my problem.

forum.png

just in case you cant see it ill include in a pdf attactment.

from what i have seen and read, my power is off on several channels and my codewords is off the charts plus i have channels not locked

any ideas on what and who to get to fix this problem, i am tired of getting the back and forth blame game

Model: C7800|Nighthawk X4S-AC3200 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

Re: back and forth with netgear and isp. who is to blame

You're right in that your power is off and you have a ton of errors in the line (event logs help too).

1. your power levels should be within 3.5dbmv of each other. You're running from 8.4 to  1.7dbmv. A 6.7dbmv difference. A bit out of spec.

2. you have a ton of errors. A few isn't a big deal. But you have them on every channel.

Again, the event logs help as the cable connection is a screen shot of that exact time. The logs show older events. 

I'd check your line first. Remove any splitters, amplifiers, signal attenuators.Check your coax for kinks, damage, old/bad/loose/corroded/cheap connectors. Preferably, move the modem to right where the coax enters the home. If you still have the same errors, the ISP needs to check the line. 

Message 2 of 6
Kitsap
Master

As part of your line check, ensure you have a good ground connection where the coax enters you home.  Tight connections to a rod driven into the ground.  Preferably several feet into the ground depending on soil conditions.

Message 3 of 6
richworldinc
Initiate

checked my cable line and my ground

not sure if moving it to where it comes in is a good idea (my breaker box is there in the kitchen (the bathroom is also))

my line is about 25 feet (could be shortened (it dangles on the ground in dirt and mud) also has one possible kink

my ground is attatached to the power ground which is connected to a metal pipe under the house

the event log only shows problems after a disconnect which it then shows tons of t3 and t4 errors, also sync timeout errors, mdd message timeout

curious about this line and many more like it in the log file

[admin login] from source 192.168.0.4, Wed, Dec 31, 1969 16:03:15

how can i have a date from the year 1969?

my biggest problem is that my isp keeps saying it my modem, im guessing because they have not seen those numbers that say different.

awaiting a call from them because netgear has proven to me that it is most likely them and they feel they are not (i have been ecaslated to another teir and told to wait 72 hours)

Message 4 of 6
plemans
Guru

the timing is just the default timing until it syncs online with the time server. You logged in before it was online and sync'd

Message 5 of 6
Kitsap
Master

Have you checked to see if the firmware on your gateway is the most recent?  Here is the link for the listing from Netgear:  Firmware 

Scroll down a bit to see the C7800.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7