Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: c6300 usb port - cables do not insert fully

dpswind
Aspirant

c6300 usb port - cables do not insert fully

firmware version 2..01.18... purchased a year ago.  Now I am trying to connect USB storage (Seagate Backup 4TB USB 3.0), and it appears as though the supplied cable only goes in so far.  The USB light goes on.  I have waited, rebooted, re-waited, but the ReadyShare does not recognize a USB device is connected.  I connected the Seagate to my laptop (Windows7), and the cable fully inserted into the slot, device drivers automatically loaded, and I was able to access the drive.

My question is: a) do I need an adapter or USB hub to plug into the C6300 USB port ?; and b) are there any steps I can perform to resolve this (I have checked out numerout youtube videos and netgear community posts, but nothing hits on this particular topic).

Thanks in advance.  -Steve

Model: C6300|AC1750 Cable Modem Router Docsis 3.0
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
dpswind
Aspirant

the USB receptacle on the C6300 does not allow the cable to be pushed in to the shield... I believe it is normally going to look as though an 1/8" is mistakenly exposed.  The setting on the genie had not affect on the USB Readyshare, however, after making all the connections and powering down, then powering on, I was able to connect to the Seagate.  The Readyshare shows up now in the "Available Network Folders", and I will continue testing.

Lesson from this experience is to not trust the PNP ability with this drive.

Please keep for further updates.  Thanks.  -Steve

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
dpswind
Aspirant

just a follow-up... the port on the Seagate Backup Plus is an SS USB (standard USB 3.0 blue).  Looking closer at the C6300 port, it is white.  Let me know if there are any other details I can provide.  -Steve

Message 2 of 5
dpswind
Aspirant

hunted and pecked through genie, and found advanced usb settings to enable any usb device connected... turning this on, and will retest.

Message 3 of 5
dpswind
Aspirant

the USB receptacle on the C6300 does not allow the cable to be pushed in to the shield... I believe it is normally going to look as though an 1/8" is mistakenly exposed.  The setting on the genie had not affect on the USB Readyshare, however, after making all the connections and powering down, then powering on, I was able to connect to the Seagate.  The Readyshare shows up now in the "Available Network Folders", and I will continue testing.

Lesson from this experience is to not trust the PNP ability with this drive.

Please keep for further updates.  Thanks.  -Steve

Message 4 of 5
dpswind
Aspirant

Additional note to users who are configuring USB storage via Genie... turn off the pop-up blocker... the app uses pop-ups to allow you to edit or create folders.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7