Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: c7000v2 Spectrum internet says repeatedly trying to update firmware

forceraoul
Tutor

c7000v2 Spectrum internet says repeatedly trying to update firmware

I have the c7000v2, hardware 2.01, firmware 1.02.09 which seems to be the latest for Spectrum internet. This morning, it repeatedly bogs down, about once per minute, internet becomes slow or nonexistent and then resumes full speed. I have rebooted, done a full factory reset, and contacted Spectrum. Spectrum say the modem is repeatedly trying to update its firmware. The Genie app says it is up to date. Is Netgear trying to push out a bad firmware update? I see no way to tell the modem not to update itself.

Model: C7000|Nighthawk - AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 8
plemans
Guru

Spectrum is the one who pushes updates to combo devices. Not netgear and not the user unfortunately.

If you pull up  your modem connections page, take a screen snip of your upload/download connections. if your signal connection is bad, it can cause similar issues as well as it can have issues with updating (if it truly is). 

Message 2 of 8
forceraoul
Tutor

I just spoke with Spectrum again and they insist the opposite, that only netgear can push a firmware update, I spoke to escalation as well who said the same. They say only netgear can fix this or stop whatever update loop is going on.

Message 3 of 8
forceraoul
Tutor

Seems Spectrum is now confessing to an area-wide problem, just like them. We'll see if they fix it and that resolves.

Message 4 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Remove the coax cable from the modem then press the reset button for 15 seconds. You can try to setup the modem with out the coax cable being connected. if you can. Complete the setup wizard then connect the cable. 

Hopefully this is an isp problem. 

Message 5 of 8
plemans
Guru

@forceraoul wrote:

Seems Spectrum is now confessing to an area-wide problem, just like them. We'll see if they fix it and that resolves.

It can take a couple times talking to ISP's before they'll admit to an issue as their baseline response is "you don't have our equipment so it isn't us causing the problems."  Hopefully they get it resolved for you. 

Message 6 of 8
forceraoul
Tutor

Indeed, Spectrum re-earns their bottom reputation with me, once their area-wide problem went away, the c7000v2 went back to operating perfectly

Message 7 of 8
plemans
Guru

Glad to hear. 

Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7