Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

cabletester GS305E reports faults on new cables

LexNoyb
Aspirant

cabletester GS305E reports faults on new cables

Netgear cable tester reported some faults in my existing CAT5-cables, so I decided to replace the lot with new CAT6-cables (eventhough the existing cables seemed to be working fine). And, would you believe it; I just connected one side of 2 brandnew 15-metre cables, and the cable tester reported a fault at 13 metres!  I then switched the cables around, and connected the other side of them - SAME result!! Here also, it reported a fault for BOTH cables at 13 metres.

The new cables are branded as S/FTP (PiMF) LSZH, CU.

From what  I read about it, such cables would be fine, up to 50 metres, or even 100 metres.

So, what's up with that? 

Should I take Netgear Cable Tester with a  pound of salt?

Is it just too picky?

Model: GS305E|5 Port Gigabit Ethernet Smart Managed Plus Switch
Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: cabletester GS305E reports faults on new cables

Please post about this in the Switch forum. 

Good Luck. 

@LexNoyb wrote:

Netgear cable tester reported some faults in my existing CAT5-cables, so I decided to replace the lot with new CAT6-cables (eventhough the existing cables seemed to be working fine). And, would you believe it; I just connected one side of 2 brandnew 15-metre cables, and the cable tester reported a fault at 13 metres!  I then switched the cables around, and connected the other side of them - SAME result!! Here also, it reported a fault for BOTH cables at 13 metres.

The new cables are branded as S/FTP (PiMF) LSZH, CU.

From what  I read about it, such cables would be fine, up to 50 metres, or even 100 metres.

So, what's up with that? 

Should I take Netgear Cable Tester with a  pound of salt?

Is it just too picky?

Message 2 of 6
LexNoyb
Aspirant

I noticed the Switch option  before I signed on; after that,  under Home Network it never showed again, so that routers/modems seemed the best (and only) choice.

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 4 of 6
LexNoyb
Aspirant

Thanks for that info; I have posted my question there.   So consider this issue closed.

I just  hope my Switch isn't going to be as quirky as the website :).

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Good Luck. Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements