Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: call from netgear support concerning CM1000 ???? phone number 1 888 253 1295

Ziadturk
Aspirant

call from netgear support concerning CM1000 ???? phone number 1 888 253 1295

somebody called from that number 888 253 1259, on my cell, asking if my CM1000 is working ok, and that they took my number from my profile with Netgear (Netgear Database hacked ???) and asked me to download an App from the playstore, the app is "netgear support" a purplr icon with a question mark inside it. the app says that it is from netgear, I didnt trust them, tried to contact netgear to ask them, no use, I was only able to reach TECh support, and a lady who almost doesnt speak English, I tried to explain for her about the call i received, and asked her if they are calling customers, but she kept asking " so you ned help with your modem setup sir ???"  I googled the number, qnd searched, many people received this call, and many people were saying that this is a legit netgear call, while others said that this is scam, and fraud. how can i verify this since no way to contact netgear ???

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: call from netgear support concerning CM1000 ???? phone number 1 888 253 1295

Hello Ziadturk

I checked the system and there is all of this engagement  was recorded so yes that was Netgear tech support I was not aware they did this but you should be fine.

DarrenM

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies
olerma01
Tutor

Highly suspicious.  I've never heard of a high volume hardware maker calling owners to see if everything is alright.  Owners have a tough time getting support as it is.  Don't download any apps they recommened or visit websites they recommened as well. 

Message 2 of 6
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Ziadturk

Unless you know ahead of time that Netgear support is going to contact I would not trust it. If you are unsure I would just hang up and then contact Netgear support through Netgears website.

DarrenM

Message 3 of 6
Ziadturk
Aspirant

I tried Darren, no use, i called them, and was transferred to Tech support, who didint know anything, not even English.

.the funny thing is that there is an APP in the playstore called netgear support, and it says that the creator is Netgear, this is the app they asked me to install on phone, the  point is, how were they able to get my cell phone number, and my modem model if they didnt hack into the registrations ???? this is serious, and i think Netgear should at least respond.

Message 4 of 6
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Ziadturk

I checked the system and there is all of this engagement  was recorded so yes that was Netgear tech support I was not aware they did this but you should be fine.

DarrenM

Message 5 of 6
Ziadturk
Aspirant

Thank you Darren, I was still worried, i hung up the call, and didnt continue, because it was strange, and the tech support agent i called didnt know anything about Netgear calling people.  SO, thank you again ..

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7