Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: cax80 xfinity slow speeds netgear needs to fix this

FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?

Please post a copy and paste of the modems connection status page.
Have the ISP check the signal and line quality UP to the modem. Be sure the ISP provisions the modem correctly.
Be sure there are no coax cable line splitters in the between the modem and ISP service box. 
Be sure your using good quality RG6 coax cable up to the modem. 
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/General-info-and-Troubleshooting-for-Cable-Mod...

@IPAS_ALL_DAY wrote:

I have this same problem. Xfinity says everything is fine on their end. I have a hardwired pc that is only getting 200-300 mbps when I have gigabyte internet. I've owned several netgear router/modems, and I swear they all have issues. I'm going to return this cax80 if this doesn't get figured out fast. . . 

Message 26 of 46
DanQCR
Star

You're lucky to get 700+. I barely get 400+ when my ISP plan is 1200Mbps.

Any luck fixing this?

Message 27 of 46
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?

How are you speed testing? Wired or wireless? 

What devices are you using to speed test with? 

@DanQCR wrote:

You're lucky to get 700+. I barely get 400+ when my ISP plan is 1200Mbps.

Any luck fixing this?

Message 28 of 46
DanQCR
Star

Thanks for your reply.

My firmware is the latest 2.1.2.6. I'm testing wireless on 5GHz with my iPhone 12 Pro standing right in front of the router.

My concerned is this.....I used to own an eero Pro router that has also a built-in speedtest, and I was getting normal 940-950Mbps, being that the eero Pro max speed is 1Gbps. I bought this CAX80 because it can handle more than 1Gbps speeds, since I have a 1200Mbps plan with Xfinity, and I figured in the future will be able to support even faster speeds.

When I made the switch I found nothing but problems, at first the app was'nt able to connect or it will be very slow, so I had to do 2 factory resets to finally get it to work ok. But the speeds are still not going over 400Mbps.

In conclusion, when I test with other routers I get much faster speeds (almost double) using the same devices and under same conditions compared to when I test with this CAX80 device.

Thanks for your help.

Message 29 of 46
FURRYe38
Guru

What connection rates are you seeing on the iphone. Install WiFi sweetspots on the phone and check. 

Is Smart Connect and "Enable WMM" enabled on the CAX? 

iPhone being I believe a 2x2 MIMO based configuration, will not see more than 1000Mpbs. Even on AX modes from what I was told. 

Message 30 of 46
StevenSullivan
Initiate

I am having same slow speed issue ping is 80 speed is 130Mbps download.

Xfinity caome out checked all the connections. I updated frm ware and made changes in advanced setting working with technical support at netgear. Not happy with technical support claims speed would come up after 24 hours. What does the stat of the ionisphere affect the updates??? I call BS.

Model: A7000|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi USB Adapter - USB 3.0
Message 31 of 46
FURRYe38
Guru

I Put my CAX80 online as router today. I'm seeing good download speed on the wire. 

2ndWiredSpeedTestGood.png

I'll check this over the weekend. 

Message 32 of 46
DanQCR
Star

After a long time and replacing the CAX80 with tech support, I finally gave up and went and bought an eero 6 Pro. I setup the CAX80 in modem mode by just turning the router part off, hooked up the eero to the 2.5Gbps port (matter of preference, if eero doesn’t support over 1G, any port should be fine).
End result, all problems of slow and intermittent connections disappeared.
The eero limits my service to 1G, yes; but I rather have 1G fast and stable with eero, than 1.2G or more with the Nighthawk all buggy and unreliable.
Message 33 of 46
plemans
Guru

@DanQCR thats an expensive modem to have to just be using it for gigabit speeds. The CM1000 would be capable of the same gigabit speeds. 

Message 34 of 46
DanQCR
Star

I agree. Hence my disappointment with the product. I wish I knew the cax was so unreliable, I would have bought the CM and paired it with the eero since the beginning.
Message 35 of 46
FURRYe38
Guru

I'll be getting my testing results to NG for review. Hopefully NG can figure it out and get it fixed. 

@DanQCR wrote:
I agree. Hence my disappointment with the product. I wish I knew the cax was so unreliable, I would have bought the CM and paired it with the eero since the beginning.

Message 36 of 46
Avezes08
Tutor

I have a a brand new laptop and on the wired connection I'm seeing the exact same thing the poster did.
When i switch back to the adris, i get 1.2 gig on the exact same devices.
It seems like this is just s defective device, but netgear sorry are useless. I would but a carrier pigeon before i would give Netgear another dime
Message 37 of 46
Avezes08
Tutor

Why are you blaming the end device when he started he tested the exact same devices on the other modem...
Annoying as hell when people try to distract. It is s1 to 1 comparison. Get it?
Message 38 of 46
DanQCR
Star

Yeap. Netgear ended up replacing my CAX80. But even with the newest firmware I still have problems of disconnecting devices. I strongly believe that the problem resides in the router part of the device, specifically to the smart connect feature. If you separate the frequencies and dedicate 5GHz to faster devices and 2.4GHz to slower ones, the constant disconnecting problem disappears.
In my case, I gave up and bought an eero Pro 6 to use as a router and I setup the CAX80 as a modem only. Ever since the internet and connections in my house are stable all day.
Message 39 of 46
Avezes08
Tutor

Cool! I wonder if my irobot, light bulbs, etc will be able to be controlled by as lexa if i separate them... IF netgear will replace this defective one
Message 40 of 46
Avezes08
Tutor

Hmm actually wonder if i just went back to the aeris for my modem, if the router function in this would be more stable
Message 41 of 46
DanQCR
Star

I can control all devices at home, even when they’re connected to different bands. I have my TV hard wired, all my security devices on 2.4GHz and computers, phones, and smart devices to 5GHz; all being controlled.
Message 42 of 46
Avezes08
Tutor

Sweet! Now i just have to find a technician who will rma this one
Message 43 of 46
FURRYe38
Guru

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/Dejavu-cax80-and-xfinity/m-p/2180936/highlight...

@Avezes08 wrote:
Sweet! Now i just have to find a technician who will rma this one

Message 44 of 46
FURRYe38
Guru

There seems to be a problem on 5Ghz that I reported:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/CAX80-can-t-upload-5GHZ/m-p/2158905/highlight/...

@DanQCR wrote:
Yeap. Netgear ended up replacing my CAX80. But even with the newest firmware I still have problems of disconnecting devices. I strongly believe that the problem resides in the router part of the device, specifically to the smart connect feature. If you separate the frequencies and dedicate 5GHz to faster devices and 2.4GHz to slower ones, the constant disconnecting problem disappears.
In my case, I gave up and bought an eero Pro 6 to use as a router and I setup the CAX80 as a modem only. Ever since the internet and connections in my house are stable all day.

Message 45 of 46
olympos1625
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Users,

Thank you for reaching out. We are sorry to hear about your experience with the Cable gateway. 

Our support team is looking into this issue and would like to work with you. I would like to endorse you to NETGEAR Level 2 support team for callback.

Please DM us the following information:

Name:

Email:

Phone:

Preferred schedule (atleast 2 days ahead)

Timezone:

Device S/N:

Alternatively, if you wish to be contacted via email only then kindly include your preferred email address.

I am looking forward to your response.

Regards,

Oliver

Community Team

Message 46 of 46
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 45 replies
  • 16 kudos
  • 12 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7