Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

cm700 modem did not make the change when I upgraded to 400mbps charter

photosquirrel
Aspirant

cm700 modem did not make the change when I upgraded to 400mbps charter

Hi, first post so be patient. Today I just upgraded charter internet speeds from 200mbps to 400mbps.. Upload took just fine I'm now getting around 21mbps from the 12 I had previously. However, downloads are still around 200. I was on with Charter IT for over an hour and they have it coming into the house at 480mbps. One thing they noticed is an error on the modem side but I guess did not know what. I have factory reset the modem, have reset a few times the Nighthawk 7000 router to no avail! Laptop speed testing is hardwired. Router and modem seem to be working fine. Have only had them both about 1 1/2yrs and have worked flawlessly. Please, if you have any advice or need any more info from me I will get you what I can. I read some help pages here and it looks as though the modem is doing as it should. So I'm a bit lost. Thank you in advance,

Photosquirrel

Model: CM700|High Speed Cable Modem—DOCSIS 3.0
Message 1 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: cm700 modem did not make the change when I upgraded to 400mbps charter

Had a power OFF of the modem for 1 minutes then back on been performed?

Try doing a factory reset with the coax cable disconnected. Then power OFF, plug in the coax cable and test with a wired PC connected directly with the modem. 

Is there a external router connected between the modem and router.

Test with a different PC to compare directly with the modem. 

Message 2 of 10
photosquirrel
Aspirant

thank you so much for the reply and suggestions. I did do a factory reset of the modem but not with coax disconnected. I will try that. I did power off Modem and wait and restart, that did not help.  I do use a nighthawk r7000 along with the cm700 modem. I will try the things you suggested. Where I'm a bit confused... Are you saying to take the ethernet cable that is plugged into the modem and into the router, take the one end out of the router and plug it directly into my laptop? Again, thank you for responding and for the suggestions.. Someone in the IT dept this morning at Charter said that my modem could not handle the 400mbps download but someone else yesterday said it should, no problem.. Support.. SMH!!

Message 3 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes, remove the R7000 router from the mix and plug the PC directly in the the back of the CM modem. Check speeds here. 

Message 4 of 10
photosquirrel
Aspirant

Hi again, yeah I felt kind of dumb but figured that's what you meant... Soooooo I hooked my laptop up directly to the modem and got speeds of 385mbps down and 21mbps up... So modem must be fine right?  I hooked everything back up like it was and I'm still getting 175mbps down but getting the correct upload of 21mbps or so.. How do I narrow down what could be keeping me from getting that 400mbps all the way to my laptop? The laptop is about 6ft from the router/modem and I have an external monitor hooked into my laptop that I use for gaming.. The ethernet cable that I have hooked up from the router to the laptop is cat 6.  Any other troubleshooting Ideas I will be happy to try.  I really appreciate your help, thank you!

Message 5 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Seems like the R router is the bottle neck if your getting to spec speeds directly from the modem to the PC. 

I would factory reset the R series router and setup from scratch with a wired PC connected there. Besure to not enable any QoS, Traffic Meter or Access controls after setting it up. Just use default settings and change only the SSID name and PW. You might leave the SSID name and PW as default while you wire speed test with the router with out any interference from wifi devices. 

Might post about this over on the Nighthawk forum as well for this model router. Seen various issue with the 7000 and different FWs. https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/bd-p/home-wifi-routers-nighthawk

Message 6 of 10
photosquirrel
Aspirant

Goodness, thank you again for the info. I've done a bit of reading on the router and it does seem like perhaps the firmware version with 1.0.9xxxx could be the issue. I will head over to that forum and see what I can find out.  A few questions please, will sound silly to you but what does PW mean? I looked at the settings in my router and QOS def is not ticked, nor is traffic meter. However access control is but I have never messed with that. Do I understand correctly that if I uncheck that box, that  will not allow anything in the house to access the internet? I must admit I'm a bit confused on that one. I look forward to your insight. Again, thank you!

Message 7 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Ask to see if there maybe any older FW that will help with the R series speeds.

PW = Password

Disable Access Controls as this may limit speeds as well. If you disable access controls, any device you connect will get internet access. Disabling Access Control only disables the entire feature on the router while you trouble shoot. 

Good Luck. 

Message 8 of 10
photosquirrel
Aspirant

Too funny, I thought PW meant password but was thinking it was something a bit more technical.. Thanks again for your help, at least now I know what the problem is most likely. Hopefully I can get it up to speed.

Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Smiley Wink

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements