Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

comcast issues with my netgear

rockjamd
Aspirant

comcast issues with my netgear

ello I have a Netgear c3000 n 300 cable wireless modem. I moved and I was setting up my cable and i knew there was no connectivity issues. My computer was only going to the welcome to comcast page and i knew the problem was on thier end. I had a comcast tech on the phone saying it was my netgear modem and I was arguing with him. I had to go along with his troubleshooting changing wires rebooting for almost an hour and then all the sudden he said he was sending a signal and a window popped open on my pc stating i need to make a password for my netgear router. My modem was reset just like a factory reset. I asked the tech if he did it and he sounded like he was playing stupid. Can a comast tech remotley reset your modem? He never asked if he could and and I never gave permission. All of the data on modem all seven devices I set up were gone and i had to make a new password for admin and wifi. I also ended up having to have a tech come out and it ended up that the mac address was one digit off. I feel violated that someone can just remotley factory reset my router but what else could have happened? The only other thing that happened on phone call with tech is I dropped the modem can that cause it to reset? I complained tocomcast and they sounded shocked and said would investigate and that thier techs can only remotley reset comcast cisco routers but I am pretty sure they reset my netgear router when toubleshooting over phone. Does anyone know if this is posible? Has my modem become comprimised? Is my modem secure if I put in new admin password and wifi password since i had to anyway? very frustrated with comcast. If they can reset can any one reset if they have my mac and IP address?

Model: C3000|N300 Cable Gateway Docsis 3.0
Message 1 of 2
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: comcast issues with my netgear

Yes they have the tools to do resets remotely but the modem is not compromised they can not see the info on the modem and no not anyone can reset it they have to access your account on the comcast system and reset it and those billing systems logs who is in your account that works at comcast.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7