Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

configure modem for higher speed

mailmanusa
Tutor

configure modem for higher speed

I have the CM500 modem and AC1900 dual band router.  These devices have worked great for me.  I recently paid Comcast to upgrade my internet speed to 400mbps.  After running tests I was still only getting about 30mbps.  I called comcast and they connected me with tech.  That guy said my router needed to be put into bridge mode in order to be capable of receiving the higher speeds.

Do I need to buy a second router and run two, or can I configure my current equipment to accept higher speed?  I prefer not buying any other equipment.  If I have to, I'll lower my delivery speed to a level that my equipment will handle.

How much speed can this equipment handle and is configuring something I can do, or do I need a tech person to visit my house to set this up?

Thanks

John Dirks Jr

Model: CM500|16x4 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem
Message 1 of 10
vkdelta
NETGEAR Expert

Re: configure modem for higher speed

CM500 (16x4 modem) surely works on 300 Mbps service. I know comcast has started providing 400 Mbps service in some areas (especially east coast). for 400 Mbps comcast requires you to have 24x8 or greater modem (which is CM600 or CM700, or CM1000 etc). 

If you want to keep using same CM500, It is would be better to downgrade the service to 300 Mbps (you probably wont feel a big difference between 300 and 400 Mbps).

Ac1900 router (Assuming it is R7000 router), should be able to easily handle 300 or 400 Mbps but it depends on wireless clients you have. 

to isolate the speed issues, you need to check the speed directly wired with CM500 first and then connect the Router and check wired speeds. then you move onto to wireless testing. 

Message 2 of 10
mailmanusa
Tutor

Ok thanks.  My first step will be downgrading from 400mbps to a teir that doesnt exceed the capability of the CM500.  

I guess from there I hook the modem up to a laptop via ethernet cable and set up as new device?

Message 3 of 10
vkdelta
NETGEAR Expert

Ok thanks.  My first step will be downgrading from 400mbps to a teir that doesnt exceed the capability of the CM500.  

>> Yes, that is fine. 300 Mbps would be a good option 

I guess from there I hook the modem up to a laptop via ethernet cable and set up as new device?

>> for making rate changes, I believe you need to call comcast to change the config file. Rate changes cannot be done via self-activation system. Please make sure CORRECT CONFIG FILE has been sent your device. You need to get the CSR agent to confirm this 3 times as they make lot of mistakes. It is for the package your are purchasing and not a low-end config file. 

Message 4 of 10
mailmanusa
Tutor

I contacted comcast and dropped the service to 200mbps and gave them the modem MAC address of cm500 modem.  They then claimed to list the device and send config file.  I tested and still only got 30mbps.  They shuffled me through several other people.  I asked them to please be sure you sent the correct file.  She said, opps, I see a mistake and claimed to correct it.  I checked again and got an improvement but still only 45mbps.  I think they sent me the low-end file only.  The comcast person suggested that maybe I have a poor line signal.  BTW, I have no splitters.  I have direct line into modem and no other splitters or equipment to interfere.  I checked my signals and power via modem at my end and all seems within good range.  This looks good right?

Message 5 of 10
mailmanusa
Tutor

Message 6 of 10
mailmanusa
Tutor

New info to share.  I got into my router settings and remember that I had set up a network in 5ghz.  If I log my iphone onto that network I get the 200mbps im paying for.  On the 2.4ghz band, I only get 40ish mbps.  So, the issue is in my router.  

What's the best way to handle this?  Switch as many devices over to the 5ghz band?  Maybe keep the 2.4ghz band open for any devices that may not accept 5ghz?  Other settings to configure?  I'm sure theres a way to get it all right but my knowledge of these things is limited.

Thanks for any help you can give me on this.

Message 7 of 10
vkdelta
NETGEAR Expert

New info to share.  I got into my router settings and remember that I had set up a network in 5ghz.  If I log my iphone onto that network I get the 200mbps im paying for.  On the 2.4ghz band, I only get 40ish mbps.  So, the issue is in my router.  

>> actually it is not an issue if you are in WIFI congested areas. If you are out in the Country side Barn with no neighbors, you can get good speeds on 2.4GHz but otherwise, 40 Mbps is pretty decent speed. 

What's the best way to handle this?  Switch as many devices over to the 5ghz band?  Maybe keep the 2.4ghz band open for any devices that may not accept 5ghz?  Other settings to configure?  I'm sure theres a way to get it all right but my knowledge of these things is limited.

>> Switch all the dual-band devices to 5GHz wherever possible. 

If you need range, 2GHz is good but speeds are limited

5GHz has shorter range but speeds are higher.

Message 8 of 10
mailmanusa
Tutor

Understanding and implementing.  Roku players and iphones are over to the 5ghz band and performing good.  I see what you mean by 5ghz having less range.  When in my detached pole barn (metal siding), the 5ghz band has a weaker signal than the 2.4ghz and the iphone switches over to cellular. On the 2.4ghz band it will hold wifi pretty steady.   I'll just switch back and forth between 2.4 and 5 depending on what I'm doing.

Thanks for the responses and help.  I'm learning!!!

Message 9 of 10
vkdelta
NETGEAR Expert

welcome.

also, you can change the HT mode of 2.4G to HT40 as well (upto 600 Mbps) if there is no interference. 

Message 10 of 10
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7