Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

dead slow internet speed

Nintendians
Aspirant

dead slow internet speed

i'm only getting 1/10th speed of my xfinity 1gbps (1000mbps) speed plan. tried using all cat5e ethernet cable i have even the one that came with it. still same results. just my gaming pc with the modem.

update: same with all different kinds of cat6 ethernet cable that i have too.

Model: CM1000-1AZNAS|Ultra-High Speed Cable Modem—DOCSIS® 3.1 Ready
Message 1 of 29

Accepted Solutions
Nintendians
Aspirant

Re: dead slow internet speed

Never it was my dad cheap wireless router fault.

View solution in original post

Message 29 of 29

All Replies
plemans
Guru

What speed do you get directly connected to the modem?

What firmware version are you on? 

Did you just update to gig speeds? If so, i'd recommend a factory reset and reinstall. make sure to leave qos, access controls, traffic monitoring, and parental controls all disabled. 

Message 2 of 29
Nintendians
Aspirant

100mbps down and 35mbps up

V6.01.06

done, but still same speed results.

Message 3 of 29
plemans
Guru

do you have a screen snip of your cable connections page and logs from the modem? 

Message 4 of 29
Nintendians
Aspirant

here

Message 5 of 29
Nintendians
Aspirant

and here

Message 6 of 29
plemans
Guru

Your power levels look good.  A touch high on the upstream but not horrible.

Have you tried having the ISP re-provision the modem? I've had them send the wrong provisioning before. 

Or try replacing the cable? 

Is your computer capable of gigabit? 

Message 7 of 29
Nintendians
Aspirant

Yes they say it was good and recommend me to here.

The cable still new.

Yes, my computer is capable of gigabit ethernet.
Message 8 of 29
plemans
Guru

do you have a different pc/laptop to try? 

Have you tried factory resetting the modem and then retrying it? 

I'd still try replacing the cable if you have a known good cable around. It wouldn't be the first time a cable wasn't made right or was bad and caused issues. 

Message 9 of 29
Nintendians
Aspirant

nope but have shield antroid tv, still same results.

did it couple of times.

tried with multiple cables already.

Message 10 of 29
Nintendians
Aspirant

chat support didn't help at all either.

Message 11 of 29
plemans
Guru

couple things to try. 

1. actually have them reprovision it. That's the file they send that sets the speeds. I've had the wrong one sent before. 

2. have them check the line. 

3. try a different modem. maybe it is a modem issue. 

Message 12 of 29
Nintendians
Aspirant

Chatted with both netgear and xfinity support. Waiting on xfinity technician today or tomorrow around 4pm to check, will report back later.
Message 13 of 29
Nintendians
Aspirant

I give up!!! Xfinity technician came and in today (9/20/20) and fix up the lines but still same results as always.

The chat with xfinity, the say they can't fix the downstream and upstream bonded channels also the downstream and upstream ofdm channel (like the netgear chat say so).
Message 14 of 29
plemans
Guru

If they've sent a tech and said they've done what they can with the line then your limited to a coupe options. 

1. try a different modem. Maybe something is wrong with the one you have. it does happen. 

2. rent a modem from the isp. If it doesn't provide the full speed, then they can't blame 3rd party gear. I've had to rent a modem for a month to prove to an isp that it wasn't the modem. 

Message 15 of 29
Nintendians
Aspirant

1. i only have one modem that can match my speed (1gbps)

2. next time, after the "senior techinician" comes and tries to fix the problem.

but before i updated to 1gbps speed, i have 150mpbs speed plan and using a arris sb6141 modem with that speed and got only 50% on download while my upload was 5mpbs (which is default for the 150mpbs speed plan).

Message 16 of 29
plemans
Guru

so 2 modems aren't getting full speeds from your line. 

Is that correct? 
Then I'd be more inclined to port fingers at the isp/line than I would the modem. 

But again, it could be. 

Message 17 of 29
Nintendians
Aspirant

the old speed plan (150mbps) was get around 75 to 80 mbps with the arris sb6141.

the current plan (1gbps) was getting around 80 to 130 mbps with the netgear cm1000v2.

i don't think is the modem fault but i think it's xfinity fault more.

Message 18 of 29
plemans
Guru

If they've sent someone else out and they say, the lines fine. Then rent a modem from them for a month. Its usually like $10 or something. If it doesnt' get full speed, then they can't say the lines fine. If it does, then it could actually be an issue with the modem. 

Message 19 of 29
Nintendians
Aspirant

Xfinity send out a senior technician today told every information of he did. Will test my speed tomorrow to see if they sent the right speed signal, if not i'll ask for the xb7 modem.
Message 20 of 29
Nintendians
Aspirant

well, they sent a senior technician to fix and speed test but still getting result since 9/21/20.

still waiting on that modem.

Message 21 of 29
FURRYe38
Guru

Did the tech test with the CM modem online? 

@Nintendians wrote:

well, they sent a senior technician to fix and speed test but still getting result since 9/21/20.

still waiting on that modem.

Message 22 of 29
Nintendians
Aspirant

He replaced the lines and test via wifi on his smartphone, still the same speed.
Message 23 of 29
plemans
Guru

@Nintendians wrote:
He replaced the lines and test via wifi on his smartphone, still the same speed.

wifi isn't an accurate measure of speed.

And testing on a smart phone isn't accurate either because some phones are 1x1 antenna devices and others are 2x2. 

The reliable test is testing hardwired. and the CM1000 (your using) doesn't have wifi. 

so not sure what router your connecting to the cm1000 but disconnect it and directly test with only a pc/laptop hardwired into the modem. 

Message 24 of 29
Nintendians
Aspirant

@plemans wrote:

@Nintendians wrote:

wifi isn't an accurate measure of speed.

And testing on a smart phone isn't accurate either because some phones are 1x1 antenna devices and others are 2x2. 

The reliable test is testing hardwired. and the CM1000 (your using) doesn't have wifi. 

so not sure what router your connecting to the cm1000 but disconnect it and directly test with only a pc/laptop hardwired into the modem. 

i know and i did hardwired the cm1000v2 into a laptop, still get the same as the 1st time i posted.

today (9-24-20) the xfinity xb7 modem (hope so) comes to my house, well speed test with it when i have time and by saturday (9-26-20) and report back to xfinity.

Message 25 of 29
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 28 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7