Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

getting my cameras thru the r6300 router

corvairbob
Tutor

getting my cameras thru the r6300 router

i tried to post this saturday but i was told to move it to a link provided and i went to that link and got no replies so i will give it a go again. if it is wrong sorry. 

some histroy first. i have a c3700 modem/router. and security cameras and with this unit i could see  my cameras at home and away for home. well then xfinity gave me more speed and then that modem could not give me that speed or even give me the speed i had before they changed it. so i tried a c7000 unit and that was slower and xfinity told me that, that unit was not compatible with my area's setup. so i had this r6300 router and with help from this site i got it hooked up to the c3700 modem and i got almost the speed xfinity was giving me now but!!!   

now the issue. i have security cameras and i did get them connected up to the router and they work great when i'm home. i can see them great on my tablet wifi connected to the router and the phone connected to the router.  BUT!  now when i'm gone i can not see them at all. so to test this close to home, i go next door and use there xfinity wifi and i can not see them yet. i have them all ported just like i did when i was just using the c3700 modem.router. so what am i doing wrong here? or is this just not going to work unless i  have a combo router and modem device?

i tired doing this once before to hook up this router and the c3700 combo unit and had a time even getting the router and the modem to connect, but with help from here i managed this time to get them connected up.  if this is not going to work i will just have to get a faster mode/router combo unit and just use on device. but before i just toss this setup out maybe all i need to do i click some switch and it will work. thanks

Model: R6300v1|Dual Band Gigabit Wireless Router - 802.11ac
Message 1 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: getting my cameras thru the r6300 router

Message 2 of 11
corvairbob
Tutor

i tired that with your link and it did not go. sorry but that link did not take me anywhere but to this page. maybe you can move but i could not find that r site.

Message 3 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 4 of 11
corvairbob
Tutor

ok i clicked that link and copied the post into that section thanks now to see if someone has a fix. thanks.

Message 5 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 11
corvairbob
Tutor

ok yesterday window helpers on a different issue had me do ho updates for getting a miracast to work. and believe it or not when hp did a bios update it did something to the r6300 and the c3700 setup and kicked me offline. i spent 3 hours getting back online and had to take the router out of the system. so i'm just going to get me a combo unit that works with my neck of the woods that comcast told me will work and be dont with trying to get this conglomeration to work. i did get good speed with the router hooked into the system but i could not see m cameras from away from home. i finally got the c3700 back up and running and today i could see my cameras form away from home. not as fast but after i get a new combo unit i should get the pseed back i'm done trying to get 2 seperat usnit to connect and then see my cameras thru them. thanks for the help anyway

Message 7 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, sounds like you have a direction to go. Might ask your ISP about the C7800. 

If the R series router seems to have better wifi than the C3700 does, you could disable the wifi on the modem and configure the R series router or any other router for wired AP mode and connect it to the modem and you'd have upgraded WiFi for your home. I did this with my C7800. Works great. 

Good Luck. 

@corvairbob wrote:

ok yesterday window helpers on a different issue had me do ho updates for getting a miracast to work. and believe it or not when hp did a bios update it did something to the r6300 and the c3700 setup and kicked me offline. i spent 3 hours getting back online and had to take the router out of the system. so i'm just going to get me a combo unit that works with my neck of the woods that comcast told me will work and be dont with trying to get this conglomeration to work. i did get good speed with the router hooked into the system but i could not see m cameras from away from home. i finally got the c3700 back up and running and today i could see my cameras form away from home. not as fast but after i get a new combo unit i should get the pseed back i'm done trying to get 2 seperat usnit to connect and then see my cameras thru them. thanks for the help anyway

Message 8 of 11
corvairbob
Tutor

thanks i did that last week and i had great wifi but could not see my cameras outside the house. so i'm going to just go with a combo unit and then i know it will work. my isp told me that a mg 7500 or 7700 motorola unit will work in my neck of the woods. in my area we ahve anchent equipment and it is breaking down and they fix it only when all else fails. thanks for the ideas but been there done that and it jsut dd not work for me. my router jsut did not let my cameras thru it when i was out of the house. and the modem does. the modem does a great job at keeping intruders out. so fo now i'm etting it lay. i ahve a gigabit network switch on the way and that may allow me to get the speed i get at the back of the modem. thanks.

Message 9 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Enjoy and Good Luck. Smiley Wink

Message 10 of 11
corvairbob
Tutor

ok saturday i got me a gs105v3 gigabit network switch. i connected it to the back of my c3700 modem combo and i got 120mbps speed. so then i went up stairs and connected the pc to the network switch by the pc and i got thru that 12mbps so i was going from the modem to the gigabit switch then thru anothe 10/100 switch at the pc and it was way slower that if i went thru the 10/100 then nother 10/100 switch. so i guess there must be a conflit there. so now i need to get some more gogbit switches, i figure i can then put one up by the px and not lose speed correct?   also can you tell me this, i have the 16 port 10/100 switch downstairs and use about 12 ports. can i dasiy chain the 8 port gs108 switches so i can have 13 gigbit port to use? 

and to continue with the original topic i had. when i had to r6300 router connected up to my c3700 modem i did get onto the router and got speed but i could not get my cameras thru so i could see them when i was away form home. i did your suggested setup by turning everything off and then turning on the c3700 then the r6300 then the pc all connected together with cat5 cable. but then i was doing other things and the window people had me install some updates and it messed the router and modem up to the point i had to factory reset the modem and lost the r6300 connections. so i'm game to try again but i must have did something wrong because i could not log onto my cameras.   

in the camera app is has on the main page the ip for the camera and on the second page it is for seeing them form outside the system so i'm guessing from the inside it is lan and form the outside it is wan. so if that is so what setup will allow me to get back into my system form the wan? if there is a youtube showing how to do this it would help. thanks

Message 11 of 11
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7