Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: giga bit Modem router combe with voice

jmason77089
Tutor

giga bit Modem router combe with voice

I am trying to replace my gigabit modem from Comcast-Xfinity with a modem+router+voice. I have looked at several that say gigabit, but they also say good for upto 400 mbps.  I am a bit confused.  Does anyone know the best gigabit+modem+router+voice to look at.  Idealy I would like one that goes up to 2 gb.

Message 1 of 8
plemans
Guru

1. there isn't a combo device like that that goes to 2 gig. currently. maybe in the future. 

2. The voice option throws a wrench in it if you're wanting a modem/router/voice combo device. the fastest modem/router/voice device currently is the C7100v. but its not docsis 3.1 so you won't find gigabit for it in the vast majority of markets. 

Your best bet? buy a modem with voice. There's the cm1150v that supports >1gig service and voice. then you just need to buy a router. 

In my experience its better to seperate them anyway as then you control your routers firmware. its a little more $ to buy but if something goes bad, you're not out the larger more expensive single device. Plus you can upgrade seperate device

Message 2 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

If you have land line services with your ISP then the CM1150v will be something to review. However this is just a modem only, you'll need a external router, such as a R, RAX, XR or Obbi wifi system to connect to the CM modem. 

Some modems support near 2Gb on two WAN ports however be aware you not see this down stream from the modem. Most you'll see currently is 900Mpbs. You can share a 2Gb service line after the modem, however since ALL wire LAN ports are limited to 1000Mbps, you'll not see speeds over wire much past 900Mpbs. 

@jmason77089 wrote:

I am trying to replace my gigabit modem from Comcast-Xfinity with a modem+router+voice. I have looked at several that say gigabit, but they also say good for upto 400 mbps.  I am a bit confused.  Does anyone know the best gigabit+modem+router+voice to look at.  Idealy I would like one that goes up to 2 gb.

Message 3 of 8
jmason77089
Tutor

Thanks everybody.  I think I found what I needed.  The deal isn't so much the speed as it is access.  The modem, router with voice supplied by Xfinity only as two ethernet connections.  I need 4.  The one I bought has 4 plus 2 phone ports and goes upto 2 gigabits.  Added to that, I am tired of paying rent on a POS.

Message 4 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

What did you get? 

Yes not having to pay rent on something that doesn't work well is good. 

FYI, you can always add more ports by installing a Gb LAN switch. 

Message 5 of 8
jmason77089
Tutor

I got one recommended by Comcast for my set-up.  I got the Motorola MT771 24X8 DOCSIS 3.0 AC1900 Dual Band WiFi gigabit Router with Voice.

It was recommended by Comcast for my set up.  I already have a Gigabit switch incase I need more than 4 ports, but I didn't want extra equipment sitting on my station unless I had to.

Message 6 of 8
plemans
Guru

Just an fyi, that device will max out at 600mbps speed through comcast.
But I hope it works great for you!
I've tested a similar arris before and it worked great.
Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya I would check with the ISP to see if this model modem will work fully on there 1Gb plan if thats something your looking to use. Most ISP required a D3.1 modem with 32x8 channels for 1Gb services. 

@jmason77089 wrote:

I got one recommended by Comcast for my set-up.  I got the Motorola MT771 24X8 DOCSIS 3.0 AC1900 Dual Band WiFi gigabit Router with Voice.

It was recommended by Comcast for my set up.  I already have a Gigabit switch incase I need more than 4 ports, but I didn't want extra equipment sitting on my station unless I had to.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7