Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: help please cm1200

gdwwdg
Guide

help please cm1200

i have multiple ip address xfinity does offer multiple ips without bussniss line my other modem  was a aris 8200 with two ethernet ports i was able to use both ports seperate ip address i upgraded or at least thought i did to the cm1200 from net get and even with multible ip addresses it still will only connect 1 at a time.  very odd because aris 8200 with two ports works giving two different ip address but netgear cm1200 wont.  please dont respond saying i need another ip address i bought a pack of 4 xtra i pay for each month and aris worked just fine giving 2 different public ips, cm1200 wont

Model: CM1200|Nighthawk Multi-Gig Speed Cable Modem
Message 1 of 10
schumaku
Guru

The CM1200 is a pure modem, not a modem-router combo. Becasue the ISP assign only one public IP address to your connection, lack of a NAT router, only one device can used, fully exposing the system to the wild Internet.

Note that consumer routers don't support multiple public IP offerings, so you can't have any advantage from this expensive service. Most users don't ever need this anyway, unless you must have mutiple systems exposed to provide services.

Message 2 of 10
gdwwdg
Guide

YES I KNOW CM1200 IS JUST A MODEM THATS WHY I BOUGHT IT BECAUSE ITS JUST A MODEM     NOW LETS TRY THIS AGAIN

thank you for your response but i find it insulting.  sorry not tring to be an a$#@ so let me try again 

i understand its just a modem.  but it has 4 ethernet ports either for link agg. or  muli public ip at the same time on different ports  in owners manual it shows option to  connect to a router and connected to another device as long as your isp supplies multi public ip address.  as mentioned above i have 5 publc ip address from my isp my aris sbg8200 just a modem as well has two ethernet ports and i am able to connect to router and another device both with different public ip add.  so per instructions that you can pull up on this web site shows mult connections at a time so i should be able to connect to a router with one port and a ps4 or 5 on another port giving ps4 or 5 an public ip address no nat type that is ideal connection for console  and router would get a different public ip address at same time shows right in the instructions for just a modem cm1200. so why is my cm1200 not working as it should.  if i reconnect my just a modem  arris sbg 8200 i get what i want two different public ip. 

so im not a pro i.t guy. never went to school for any i.t self taught on i.t so i might be missing something i know the difference between a PUBLIC AND PRIVATE ip address lots of people dont but i do.  just my self taught knowlage i took my 1gig speed internet and was able to max it out by link agg to 1.9 gig speed just as a hobby so if  any one out there who dont  respond because you think your answer might be to complicated or confusing dont let my spelling fool you but  im fine with that kind of answer.  thank you guys i know someone in here can help.  i dont even dare call netgear those techs if they answer phone dont know the difference between a public and a private ip address they coulnt find their way out of a wet paper bag just as bad as xfinity tech support no help what so ever  thank you

Message 3 of 10
schumaku
Guru

Don't blame the messenger. I have no idea why - with the exception when somebody wants to put a firewall or security appliance in a HA (high availability) configuration, or if multiple firewalls should be connected, eg. each handling a individual IP from the assigned subnet, or a massive LAG with up to four members should be configured - a modem should have more than one LAN port (for faster speed some MultiGig or 10G interface is the way to go in my opinion...)

What ever you try to explain ... I'm afraid, it's a modem, so there is nothing I can add here.

A possible explanation might be that your Arris Modem Comparison might have a feature not be in place on the Netgear cable modem - this little ** markup says:

**2nd IP address required for speeds greater than 1Gb. Link Aggregation may be required in some instances. 

AFAIK Netgear does only support Link Aggregation (LAG).

Let's challenge a moderator to move your post to the CABLE MODEMS & ROUTERS community section, and hope that some Netgear moderator is able to pick up your question at this interesting point.

Message 4 of 10
gdwwdg
Guide

you sure you dont want to read instructions 1st before we challange

Message 5 of 10
antinode
Guru

> [...] it has 4 ethernet ports either for link agg. or muli public ip
> at the same time on different ports [...]

Says who?

> [...] in owners manual it shows option to connect to a router and
> connected to another device as long as your isp supplies multi public
> ip address. [...]

"owners manual"?  Where, exactly, in what, exactly, do you see what,
exactly?  All I see in the CM1200 User Manual is:

You can use the LAN 2 port to set up Ethernet port aggregation.
      For more information, see Ethernet Port Aggregation on page 19.

The hardware may be there, but where is the evidence that the
firmware supports multiple devices at multiple IP addresses?

> [...] per instructions that you can pull up on this web site [...]

Thanks for the helpful link.

> [...] i have 5 publc ip address from my isp [...]

Ok.  What makes you think that you need a separate Ethernet port for
each of them?  What happens if you connect an Ethernet switch to LAN 1
on the CM1200?

With only four Ethernet ports, how would you use that fifth public IP
address?

Message 6 of 10
gdwwdg
Guide

i dont care about the 5th ip only have five because  you get one when you sign up and to get more had to buy 4  pack.  look i just want one port from modem giving public ip to a router and another port off my modem giving a different public ip to another device.  i was wrong its not in manual it on the set up guide.  sorry just so frustrated i spent  alot of money on what i thought was quality products and my ping and speeds and consitintcy are terrible.  i got the cm1200 a  net gear GS810EMX — 10 Port Nighthawk 10-Multigigabit Uplinks Ethernet Plus Switch / GS810EMX  and a  netgear xr700 modem. i have good numbers on modem signal power  around 4db.   my speeds are great say a speed test but when downloading its a lot lower all Qos is disabled.   what i really would like to do is link agg cm1200 to both 10 gig wan ports on the gs810 since cm1200 agg wan side and then link agg gs810 to xr700 on the lan side since xr700 only supports the lan side  and on gs810 you can have 4 different lag groups  but when i connect from switch of a port not lag to wan port on router to supply internet swich blinks red on switch port unless i use another modem on a different isp acount to the router  for internet but down fall is i cant bridge a port #  on router to bypass nat and give another public ip to different device that dosent like nat  when router is in lag.  and also not useing 10 gig wan port on router.  i dont know.  like i said i dont know much about this stuff just self taught.  i dont know best way to connect for best ping  speed  and consistinty,  dont care how or what way just best way do i worry about not using 10gig wan port on xr700?  i dont want to keep other isp acount and with gig speeds from isp i should be able to have multiple devices and have no issues.  sorry i was getting frustrated you are  just triyng to help  and i thank you for that.  and i think i wasted my money on this netgear stuff.  so i figued skip all that mess and try easy way no link agg  and cant even get that to work i just want use of a router and another device with diff public ip.  and now if i bridge a port on xr700 not using link agg its not working as it should still gives privite.  it did once when i tried  but thats it.  

Message 7 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

So if you are using WAN port #1 for one router device, to get the next router or device to connect fully to WAN port #2 of the CM modem, one should connect the device to the #2 port, then reboot the CM modem from the modems web page. Ensure LAG is disabled on the CM1200. WAN #1 and #2 should have different WAN IP addresses. Mine does. If you connect a 3rd and 4th device to WAN port #3 then #4, you would do the same process again as above. 

The XR700 needs a SFP adapter to use on it's 10Gg port correctly:

"10 Gigabit SFP+ PORT—Connect to NETGEAR SX10 gaming switch
for lower latency wired gaming, or use for up to 10Gig Internet
connectivity. Requires compatible SFP+ module or DAC (not included)"

I would use the 1Gb WAN port since the CM1200 modem only supports 1Gb rates only. You'll not gain anything with using the 10Gb SFP port with the CM1200 modem. 

@gdwwdg wrote:

i have multiple ip address xfinity does offer multiple ips without bussniss line my other modem  was a aris 8200 with two ethernet ports i was able to use both ports seperate ip address i upgraded or at least thought i did to the cm1200 from net get and even with multible ip addresses it still will only connect 1 at a time.  very odd because aris 8200 with two ports works giving two different ip address but netgear cm1200 wont.  please dont respond saying i need another ip address i bought a pack of 4 xtra i pay for each month and aris worked just fine giving 2 different public ips, cm1200 wont

Message 8 of 10
gdwwdg
Guide

thank you it works.  i also used your advise on how to connect to xr700 thank you again for your effort and time

@FURRYe38 wrote:

So if you are using WAN port #1 for one router device, to get the next router or device to connect fully to WAN port #2 of the CM modem, one should connect the device to the #2 port, then reboot the CM modem from the modems web page. Ensure LAG is disabled on the CM1200. WAN #1 and #2 should have different WAN IP addresses. Mine does. If you connect a 3rd and 4th device to WAN port #3 then #4, you would do the same process again as above. 

The XR700 needs a SFP adapter to use on it's 10Gg port correctly:

"10 Gigabit SFP+ PORT—Connect to NETGEAR SX10 gaming switch
for lower latency wired gaming, or use for up to 10Gig Internet
connectivity. Requires compatible SFP+ module or DAC (not included)"

I would use the 1Gb WAN port since the CM1200 modem only supports 1Gb rates only. You'll not gain anything with using the 10Gb SFP port with the CM1200 modem. 

@gdwwdg wrote:

Model: CM1200|Nighthawk Multi-Gig Speed Cable Modem
Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know.

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7