Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

modem to switch to modem long distance how should I configure the end router

teter
Tutor

modem to switch to modem long distance how should I configure the end router

I just layed a cat 6 cable from the modem in the house 200 ft to a outbuilding added a switch went another 200 ft to a building do I need to configure the end modem there other than the default settings?

Message 1 of 10
plemans
Guru

Re: modem to switch to modem long distance how should I configure the end router

modem isn't router. 

You should only have 1 modem.  Were you meaning you had 2 modems or what are those devices exactly?

It should go modem---->router-----> switches/devices/router(in ap mode)

Message 2 of 10
teter
Tutor

Re: modem to switch to modem long distance how should I configure the end router

Hi we have fiber into our house into a  Actiontec router I went fromi there with a cat 6 cable 200 ft to a netgear switch that is in a building went out of there with another 200 ft of cat 6 to another building that I would like to have wifi and a cable to a tv so thinking I need a router there but not sure how to configure it. Getting 90 MBPS at the remote location if I plug directly into the cat 6. So my question is how to configure the remote router for it to work properly?  Thanks 

Message 3 of 10
plemans
Guru

What speeds do you pay for? Is 90mbps what you expect? 

You should be able to run that distance since you have a switch in there and you're using cat 6 cable.  

What switches do you have? (making sure it supports gigabit)

Basically you can use close to whatever router from netgear you want. I'd just make sure to put it in AP (access point) mode. That prevents a double nat and leaves the actiontec controlling the routing functions. 

Message 4 of 10
teter
Tutor

Thanks for the info we will try the AP mode , we get 800 MBPS at the house VTEL layed fiber optic cable in  rural Vermont years ago been fantastic. Happy with the 90 MBPS for our air BnB house.

Message 5 of 10
plemans
Guru

test it each step of the route. 

Test it at the run to the switch (prior to plugging the switch in), then directly connect to the switch with a 6ft cable, then check at the Abnb. 

find out whats restricting the speed. Maybe the switch isn't gigabit or one cable is bad (usually the end  is bad and can be cut off and replaced). 

Message 6 of 10
teter
Tutor

you were right on bad ends I redid the ends of the cable and went from 90 to 780 mbps to the switch thanks so much.Have renters now so will wait to finish.    jeff 

Message 7 of 10
plemans
Guru

glad to hear you got that fixed!

Let me know how it goes with adding an access point in the AbNb. 

Message 8 of 10
teter
Tutor

I am using a new netgear switch but might be stepping beyond the netgear line asking this question here   The router Im tring to make a access point is a linksys WRT 54G I cannot seem to find the whole picture on how to configure it for access point. It is in bridge mode as default but has the option to change to router. Also when you turn off DHCP and save settings I lose contact with the web based router panel. Is there a clear path to configure this router to a access point to be able to use the wireless as well as one of the 4 ports for a smart tv ? sorry Im a old person tring to figure this out . Thanks

Message 9 of 10
plemans
Guru

That was a solid router when it was released.......17 years ago. It literally came out in 2003. It might be worth upgrading for your abnb. 

But if you choose to go that route, there's guides on the linksys forum. 

https://community.linksys.com/t5/Wireless-Routers/How-do-I-configure-WRT54G-as-a-wireless-access-poi...

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7