Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

monitoring internet bandwidth usage

svboy
Aspirant

monitoring internet bandwidth usage

I am having some issues with monitoring which device is using how much bandidth. It seems that D-Link and Asus routers can have dd-wrt installed and this OS gives a great breakdown of what is happening. Is there anything I can do with Netgear OR do we need to get a new router?. I have glasswire installed on the windows machines but I also have macs and iphones and ipads and putting it all together is a hassle. I cant beleive that Netgear does not have this basic mechanisn. Their genie app just gives one number and no device OR no app thats driving usage and makes it almost useless..

Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

Re: monitoring internet bandwidth usage

dd-wrt is a third party firmware. 

Some netgear routers do have the capability of running it but you didn't put what you have for a router.

Also, if you look, not all asus or d-link routers support dd-wrt. Kind of like Netgear. 

Message 2 of 6
svboy
Aspirant

Re: monitoring internet bandwidth usage c7000v2

Thanks much for the reply. I had entered the model number in the "model" field that the netgear message submission recommended :-(. It is doing something non obvious with that info and I have not appended the mode # c7000v2 to the subject to help. Appreciate any pointers

Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

the C7000v2 is a modem/router combo device.

D-link, Asus, Netgear, etc all aren't able to have user directed firmware with their devices that have an integrated modem. its controlled by the ISP. so you can't install 3rd party firmware to them. 

To do something like that  you need a modem and router seperate. 

sorry. 

Message 4 of 6
svboy
Aspirant

I see. so the best option is to just get a wifi router and physically hook it up to the c7000v2...That way I can have the monitoring firmware on the wifi router which talks with the modem (c7000).

Message 5 of 6
plemans
Guru

The C7000 has modem only mode. You can connect a router to it with data monitoring. Just make sure your C7000 is in that modem only mode or you'll be running a double nat

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7